Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps Enlistment Date - T4-236516?

Buffnut453

Finally managed to track down a relative's MIC.  He served in the ASC, service number T4-236516 and went overseas sometime after 1 Jan 1916.  Are there any ASC gurus who can estimate when he might have enlisted?  

Many thanks,

Mark

Just bumping this thread in hopes someone might see it who can help narrow down when the individual might have enlisted.  

Truth in advertising, I'm not entirely certain that soldier T4/236516 is my relative, John Joseph Buckley.  The image below comes from the Absent Voter List for his home town.  It shows his 2 brothers, Robert Henry and Peter.  

John Joseph Buckley (236516) Army Service Corps - St Helens Absent Voter List.jpg

What's unclear is why John would drop his middle name on his MIC and Medal Roll,  The service number is so close to not be a coincidence.  

Edited by Buffnut453

Just had a quick run through the National Archive Discovery Catalogue and can see that within a few service numbers either side there are men who received the Silver War Badge. Unfortunately the watermarks obscured the enlistment dates. I have free account on Ancestry but it won't show me SWB MiCs. So if you have a subscription account then both they and the accompanying Silver War Badge Roll might give you dates that bracket the date your relative enlisted.

However cautionary warning - I'm guessing but I suspect they may be Derby Scheme men. So some cards may show you the original date they enlisted and some the date they were mobilised. The four are T4/236505 James Watts Roberts, T4/236514 Driver Ernest Cooper, T4/236523 Driver John Dougherty and T4/236526 James Connor.

Hope that helps,

Peter

• Admin

As mentioned he may have attested under the Derby Scheme but he was mobilised at the beginning of October 1916, no earlier than the 5th (T4/236505) no later than the 6th.(T4/236526).

Ken

Wow, thanks Gents.  That pretty much nails the timeframe.  Appreciate you sharing your knowledge and expertise with me.

Cheers,
Mark