Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prisoner of War, Gottingen and Cassel

sheila 13

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me fill in a few blanks.

My grandfather, Oswald Kinnerson, volunteered on 27th August 1915 and was placed in Notts and Derby regiment, service No 17609.  He was gassed a couple of times, sent home to recover, then put back in the 6th Northumberland Fusiliers, probably on October 6th 1916 and his service not for NF were  267278, 42171 and 6/7817. Think he was wounded and  sent home then and rejoined at a later date under a different service no.

Anyway, the last entry I've seen for the NF war diaries is April 27th 1917 where they went by train to Mondicourt.

According to ICRC, to whom I write in 2009 he was captured on 27th May 1918 in Cranne, service no at the time was 267278.  Place of detention is Cassel, then it says coming from Gottingen (according to a list dated 26.06.1918)

I'm trying to find war diaries from, April 27th 1917 to 27th May 1918 so I can find out where he was.  Was there a big battle and he was captured then?

Also trying to find out if there are any records for either or both of the POW camps, so I can trace him there.  My mum always told me he worked in a salt mine, where would this have been?

Would be very pleased to receive any information.  A member called Kate Carr helped me a lot, years ago, but she only got up to April 27th 1917 in the war diaries before she was taken seriously ill and couldn't do anymore research.  She was a fantastic help, but there a a few more gaps that I'd like to fill in.

Sheila Cross

Edited by sheila 13
Mis spelling

Sheila

The War Diary for April appears to be missing on Ancestry but May is viewable.

The 27th May was the opening day of the German offensive in the Aisne area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Battle_of_the_Aisne

There are also quite a few threads here on the forum.

As far as I am aware the only records for the PoW camps are those of the ICRC. It was common for PoWs to be used as labour in mines, factories, farms etc.

Charlie

You can read a lot about British POW at this link:  https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/wwi-prisoners-of-war-in-germany

The POW camp at Chemnitz is recorded as having sent men to work in the salt mines nearby.  The British POWs there seem to have been transferred there from other camps.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 18/11/2019 at 07:31, charlie2 said:

Sheila

The War Diary for April appears to be missing on Ancestry but May is viewable.

The 27th May was the opening day of the German offensive in the Aisne area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Battle_of_the_Aisne

There are also quite a few threads here on the forum.

As far as I am aware the only records for the PoW camps are those of the ICRC. It was common for PoWs to be used as labour in mines, factories, farms etc.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie,

That explains why I can't get anything to do with the War Diaries for that time period, very frustrating!

Sheila 

On 18/11/2019 at 14:49, FROGSMILE said:

You can read a lot about British POW at this link:  https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/wwi-prisoners-of-war-in-germany

The POW camp at Chemnitz is recorded as having sent men to work in the salt mines nearby.  The British POWs there seem to have been transferred there from other camps.

Many thanks, that ties in with what my mum always told me about my grandfather working in the salt mines.

• 2 years later...

My Grandfather T.E Payne ( 75400)

He was aged 18  and a private in the Northumberland fusiliers D  coy 15th platoon. 
Reported missing on 27.05.1918 

It wasn’t until 16.10.1918 that the Red Cross contacted the family to say that he was alive and being held at a prison camp called Heilsberg and was at Cassel before being sent to the camp.

He returned home following the war and married and started a family of his own.

hope this is of help to other families to build a picture of what happened and where the soldiers ended up .

kind regards 

Alec

D04CFFCC-5C06-427F-97BC-3258685E3BCE.png.6e3df9b6af9bc931ba66a186cdab0e19.png

Edited by AlecR