Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attestation

Albert157

My Gt Gt Uncle, Pvte William Aitken lived in the Bonnybridge/Falkirk area and joined the 10th Btn A&SH. It appears to me that his Attestation Paper is sign by J Brown whose corps is recorded as PRR. Who were the PRR? William also answered ‘yes, Vols’ to a question about previous service so my other challenge is to identify who he served with (4th Stirlingshire Volunteer Btn)?

D2775862-2DEE-4CDB-AB7E-B0C849477CEB.jpeg

Not sure about the two Rs, but I think it must refer to a "Paid Recruiter", usually an ex-soldier who was paid to find an "process" suitable men to join the Army. Could be "Paid Regimental Recruiter".

Ron

I have seen references to Political Recruitment Agencies and wonder if it is linked to one of them.

"Vols"  probably means service in the Volunteers before 1908 when they were converted into the Territorial Force.

As you suspect the local battalion was 4 Volunteer Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, (They had been 1 Stirlingshire Battalion, Rifle Volunteer Corps until 1887). It's probably reasonable to think that this was the battalion he served in if you can't find that he was living somewhere else between say 1898 and 1908. (Tracing the Rifle Volunteers - Westlake.)

RM

He was born in 1883 and attested at age 31 and 6 months  (1914/5) so service pre-1908 (pre-Territorials) is possible but given that only vols is recorded it seems that 4th Stirlingshire Volunteer Btn seems a fair bet. Do records survive?

Edited by Albert157