Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt Herbert Deacon TURNER 70Sqn KIA 20.8.1917

fetubi

I'm looking for details about this airman, who was shot down by Josef Mai of Jasta 5, for his first victory, on 20 August 1917.

I am looking for his personal details - in particular, any reference to 2Lt Turner's height.

I note that he almost certainly began his time with the RFC as Air Mechanic 3rd Class Herbert Deacon Turner 68269 - same name - has to be him. I am wondering if anyone with access to AIR79 files can turn up anything for me about his height. Or any other files that note personal physical details.

He has No Known Grave, but a very wise chum/Fellow Forumite has passed on some details of an Unknown Airman's grave and Exhumation Report. Proving his height could give this man back his identity after 102 years. Any help would be so welcome.

Trevor Henshaw

Edited by fetubi

Hi Trevor

No reference to his height in either Air 76 or Air 79.  You may find reference to his height in his Officer Record at Kew  WO339/70158

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

The other likely file will be his Long Papers at Kew - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1123994

After that it's possible mentions in obituaries, surviving family records or at a push pictures alongside other individuals or things whose height can be gauged.

As far as family is concerned CWGC shows the additional information that he was the "Son of William and Ada Turner, of 32, Stanhope Avenue, West Hartlepool"

His father made an enquiry of the International Commitee of the Red Cross and gave the same address - https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/3658693/3/2/

(There is some more writing on the card which I think relates to the aircraft he was flying and may mean something to you, so copy attached.)

The family address was shown as "Aberglasyn", 32 Stanhope Avenue, West Hartlepool on the 1911 Census of England and Wales. The 12 year old Herbert Turner is shown as born West Hartlepool and lives there with his parents, William, (42, Draper) and Ada, (39) and four siblings who were all born West Hartlepool.

He is on the West Hartlepool War Memorial which appears to have been well researched - perhaps the team there may be able to point you in the direction of local newspaper reports on him - not just his death, but commissionining, joining up, etc, which might give you the information you are after.

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=10775

I can't see an obituary for him in Flight magazine.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Herbert Deacon Turner ICRC card.JPG

• 1 year later...