Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Alan Stirling, 73rd Service Coy AOC

barnsleyrunner

I am trying to locate any records about the work of the 73rd Service Coy of the Army Ordnance Corps.

Private Alan Stirling served in this unit between November 1915 and December 1917 before his was transferred to the 12th Battalion KRRC. He went missing in action on 21.3.1918.

Alan was stationed in Dover until the summer of 1916, when he transferred to France, firstly being stationed at Boulogne, then `O.Z.A.' which no-one so far has any ide what that acronym stands for.

I have about twenty letters Alan wrote home to his family in Wolverhampton, and would like to access any records that might provide more context to his war service between 1915 and 1917.

Thank you.

Alan Stirling.jpg

I know not 1915-1917 but may be of interest

CWGC

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1589068/stirling,-alan/ 

Gives his KRRC number as A204366 and cites 12th Bn.

Death: 2.4.18

ICRC

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/3655853/3/2/ 

Gives his KRRC number as 204366 and cites "C" Coy, 10 Platoon - that my help narrow things down

Missing 21.3/2.4.18 - so perhaps missing for two weeks before his death was accepted - worth looking for a Battalion KRRC War Diary for 21.3 and onwards [not necessarily an easy find as I guess it was a 'busy' time! - suggest also looking for a Brigade WD may be easier and give a bigger picture]

Gives his parent's address as: 78 Ash Street, Wolverhampton

But with a negative reply as to being a PoW 9.9.18

Pension records

Available thanks to the Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold 3)

Gives his KRRC number as a/204366

Dependant: Mrs Emma Stirling 78 Ash Street Wolverhampton - 24.11.39 amended to 22 Malone St, Wolverhampton

Edit: to help others his Medal Index Card for a BWM & VM gives his AOC number of 013578 [and also later his KRRC A.204366]

Edited by Matlock1418
Addit

Thank you.

I was aware he transferred to 10th, then 12th KRRC and it took some time for parents to acknowledge death (I'm researching him for a book I'm writing about the search for the missing).

But some of those AOC / KRRC numbers are new to me so many thanks.

10 KRRC was disbanded in Feb 1918 hence the second transfer probably. Matlock rightly describes the period from 21 March 1918 for 12 KRRC as "busy". .  The war diary WO 95/2120 at he National Archives or here on Ancestry:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_2115_0-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43112_2120_0-00136

records in detail the engagements following the start of the German Offensive and records killed - officers 6 ORs 37 wounded 11 and 216 missing 6 and 7.

was the AOC unit in UK?  I find no war diary  for the combination of corps and number 73.

Max

Yes I have the Unit War Diary for 12th Battalion ready to go through. Thanks

Pte Stirling was in the AOC unit in Dover from Nov 1915 to May 1916, then France May 1916 to Dec 1917.

Another thing I can't work out is what `O.Z.A.' stands for in this address.

There is an old thread mentioning the 73rd Company here.

OZA.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have been researching my family history and came across this same Alan Stirling who was my great great uncle on my mothers side.  I am planning a trip to Pozieres Memorial next year to visit his grave and came across your post.  I wondered if there was any chance I could get copies of the letters he wrote home? My mum was brought up by her grandma Florence Dean (nee Stirling) who was Alan’s sister.  It would be amazing to be able to see this piece of our family history! 
thank you so much, 

becki haywood 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @barnsleyrunnerhasn’t visited for a year. With any luck, my tag will alert him to your post. You may not be aware, but Alan doesn’t have a known grave, and his name is recorded  on a panel on the Pozieres memorial to the missing.

On 17/11/2019 at 15:50, barnsleyrunner said:

Hi Michelle thank you so much for replying, oh yes on one of the white panels.  It’s so frustrating as I went twice on school trips in the 1990’s and never knew he was mentioned there then, so I want to go back and find his name.  To see the letters would be amazing so hopefully he will see my message.  Thank you for your help! 😃

Hi Michelle thank you so much for replying, oh yes on one of the white panels.  It’s so frustrating as I went twice on school trips in the 1990’s and never knew he was mentioned there then, so I want to go back and find his name.  To see the letters would be amazing so hopefully he will see my message.  Thank you for your help! 😃