Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA siege battery-Artist

leibregiment

Nice original watercolor of 218 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery, 1918, having trouble identifying the name of artist ?

has anyone got a nominal roll...thanks for your help

BC212357-9C7C-44C2-924B-9E4ADC396401.jpeg

984E5BF9-CB3C-4A09-863A-202B4D39ABDF.jpeg

8E4CEB6C-5D8E-4A2C-9570-5AA8094B6BE4.jpeg

Ororkep is the resident RGA expert.

Hopefully he'll see this thread and assist.

John

On 16/11/2019 at 23:21, leibregiment said:

has anyone got a nominal roll..

Pending a deciphering of the name, or finding it in a war diary, I'd say the name is fairly long and perhaps starts with Po, initial GW or CW or C U, GU.

Armed with those slim (semi) clues you could work your way through the (say) July 1918 army list of RGA officers looking for likely combinations.  The majority of RGA are listed in a main list, another for the Special Reserve and another for the Territorial Force.  The main list starts (for majors) here:

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103510958 .  The SR list starts on page 426 (using the page number box above the list) and the TF starts at page 483.

I've had a preliminary look without success but can't spare the time to recheck.

Just a thought!

Max

10 minutes ago, MaxD said:

I've had a preliminary look without success but can't spare the time to recheck.

Like you, Max,I'd got that far which is why I thought to ask for greater detail that I think lurks .

Gentleman, many thanks for your time and trouble...I will take it from here...I hadn't thought to do that, appreciate your assistance