Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Durham Light Infantry MM

jones31

Re: Private Thomas Adamson  325758

Yesterday a 94 year old lady showed me her father's medals - the usual pair plus a MM. I understand the latter was earned in April 1917 and  Miss Adamson believes her father was serving in Arras at the time.

I have discovered he was born around 1886 in Gateshead and prior to joining the army was employed in a local stone quarry. In 1911 Thomas was living with his parents in Kayes Cottages,

Windy Nook, Gateshead. Unfortunately I have failed to discover any information about this man's military service nor the circumstances in which he won the MM. 

Is there anyone who is able to help provide the missing details? I would be most grateful for any assistance and you would make a proud lady very happy.

Thank you.

Here's a bit to start with....from The Sunderland Daily Echo of July 21st 1917. Courtesy of The British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20191116-163711.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Just as a matter of interest, I noticed as I was poking around that Thomas Adamson was the lady's mother's second husband....if she isn't aware and you think she may be interested he was Andrew Watson of Windy Nook who died of natural causes in March 1914.

FMP has his MM, the Gazette date and the schedule number.

First name(s) T

Last name Adamson

Year 1917

Service number 325758

Rank Private

Regiment Durham Light Infantry

Regiment as transcribed 9th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry TF

Force British Expeditionary Force

Gazetteer date 18.07.1917

Gazette date 18 Jul 1917

Medal type Military Medal, 1914-1920

Registration paper 68/9N/3046

Theatre of war France

Schedule 88826

Hopefully, the Military Medal expert will be along to see where the schedule number fits and when & where he won his bravery award.

little else on FMP bar this and the MIC note.

Edited by wandererpaul

ps ancestry’s search facility has gone haywire again. So pointless trying to check that website out. What has happened to ancestry recently??

Fortunately, the 9th Durhams War Diary records the event in May 17. For an Ancestry link to the relevant page: click here. It was one of many awards to personnel of the battalion (e.g. see previous WD page). The battalion was then in training and its last major engagement seems to have been on 23 Apr 17, when the 50th Division was involved in the Second Battle of the Scarpe (23 - 24 Apr 17). Click here for the relevant page of the WD. I can find no further evidence, but it may be that Adamson won his MM during that operation.

Acknown