Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Thomas George, Pte 366120, RAMC

Dannemois

Details on his Red Cross record card William ‘G’ George, 13 Bristol Terrace, Brithdir was Ward Orderly & Hospital Ship.  Army Form B 268a reveal William ‘Thomas’ George joined 2nd Welsh Field Ambulance   and discharged at Working 17 December 1917.  Form B200 show he enlisted 14 Aug 1914 and joined at Cardiff.  Posted 3/2nd 11 January 1916.  His MIC show he received the SWB (No 300533).  It would appear he was at Gallipoli where he suffered with Dysentery.    Would like to know more - what Hospital ship was he on or any other details.  I would appreciate any help.

Regards, Roy

1 hour ago, Dannemois said:

His MIC show he received the SWB (No 300533)

You mean his SWB Index Card

His MIC, which is under his old TF number 1806, shows he entered theatre 3 Egypt 19/7/1915

His Service file also adds inter alia that he was MEF 19/7/15-26/10/15 , Disembarked Suvla Bay 10/8/15 then admitted 26 CCS, Gallipoli, sick, 12/10/15. Evacuated Mudros 21/10/15 then back home. Form B103 has useful detail. But I couldn't see any clue as to HS names. But I assume he was 1/2nd Welsh FA throughout this period.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Hi Charlie 

Thank you for pointing out my error; shows my inexperience!.  On the top left hand corner of form B200 is the name Royal Hospital? any idea where this was?  Unfortunately I do not have Ancestry. 

4 hours ago, Dannemois said:

Unfortunately I do not have Ancestry. 

Nor do I. It's annoying that the Gallipoli diaries having been scanned by Ancestry still remain accessible online only via Ancestry and not direct from NA; I wonder how long this will continue ?

4 hours ago, Dannemois said:

On the top left hand corner of form B200 is the name Royal Hospital?

That would normally suggest 'Chelsea' and Army Pensioner. But not neccesarily an in-house pensioner !

I see that FindmyPast has two versions of his Service Record. Most info is duplicated.

But there's another date:-  Dysentery- origin Gallipoli  Oct 8th 1915  which is 2 days before that admission to 26 CCS.

Thanks again; 

I hope you don't mind me going off track here.  Luckily for me another person from our village who served in the RAMC sent postcards home to his wife whilst he was training.  On one card he mentioned he had arrived safely at Aldershot - excuse my ignorance; but was it normal for those joining RAMC to train at Aldershot?  

18 minutes ago, Dannemois said:

was it normal for those joining RAMC to train at Aldershot?  

Interesting link here re RAMC postcards from Aldershot

At the start of WW1 Aldershot housed the RAMC Depot and would have been the training centre. I'm not an expert but the answer to your questionis clearly 'yes'.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962