Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Noel G. Chavasse - Rev Harry E. Maddox M C - Wieltje to Gravenstafel Road

GTB

Hi

In conjunction with a post I made on the Rev Harry E. Maddox yesterday, who served with the 1/5 South Lancashire Regiment (166th Brigade) during the period of the 31 07 1917 - 02 08 1917 at 3rd Ypres. I have a letter to the father of Noel G. Chavasse (RAMC - 1/10 Liverpool Kings (Liverpool Scottish) from Harry. Harry states he witnessed Noel attending wounded at a farm called Setques Farm on the 31 07 1917, just north of the Wieltje to Gravenstafel road, Setques farm is slightly south east of Bossaert Farm, Bossaert Farm is shown on most maps, however, Setques Farm is not. Setques Farm was shown on some maps up until May 1918, when I'm assuming it was destroyed (Bossaert Farm is still there to this day). There is some dispute as to the location of the bunker in which Noel received his mortal wounds on the 02 08 1917. Harry's eye witness account of seeing Noel at Setques Farm on the 31 07 1917 has courted controversy. Harry states in his letter that he recognized the farm as Setques, as it was the closest to north of the road, people have commented that he could not have know the road was there as it was so churned up it would be unrecognizable, I disagree with this, Harry was a trained surveyor and so detail would have been a must for him, Harry also claims an Officer close by confirmed that the building in question was indeed Setques Farm. My query is, does anybody have any detailed pictures or aerial photographs of that area of the Wieltje - Gravenstafel road during that period in order to determine the condition of the road and so support Harry's claims of him seeing Noel at that location (Setques Farm). I'm also interested in finding any photographs of Tank No 2321 (F12) - Friar Tuck from 3 section, 16 Coy, 6th (F) Battalion Tank Corps, which supported the 164th Reserve Brigade during that period, this tank (F12) broke down due to mechanical problems at 23d.95.25, which puts it at or very near to both Bossaert and Setques Farms on the 31 07 1917. Any photographs of the tank here may have in the background Bossaert and Setques Farms. I'm trying to establish if Noel did indeed establish a RAP or similar smaller aid post in a bunker at or near Setques Farm, a long shot I know. Thanking you in advance for any help, Gary.  

Edited by GTB
Spelling mistake!