Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Hand Accounts

NR72

Hi All,

I love reading first hand accounts , read most of the well known stuff but always on the look out for more. Just read "Make Me a Soldier" which was a great read 

Thanks 

You might find this thread enjoyable: 

sJ

Two of my favourite first hand accounts that have been published in the last few years are

' We Were a Band of Brothers '  by Captain Philip Heath M.C and Bar . Brick Lane Publishing Ltd 2017 

Written in the 1950/60s from memory , he was an eighteen year old subaltern and later captain of a trench mortar battery who saw action on the Somme and 

Passchendaele and gives a graphic and harrowing description of his experiences .

' Where they Kill Captains ' by Douglas H. Butler . Vanguard Press 2018

Another young soldier who arrives on the western front in 1915 and later is commissioned and unusually sent back to his old battalion and sees action at 

Passchendaele and later is sent to the Italian Front which seems like a holiday after the horrors he has just witnessed . Finished just before his death in 1978 

it's one of those hard to put down books and wonderfully written ( IMHO)  

• 2 months later...

I am at present loading extracts of a Medical mans diaries 1915/1916 onto GWF blogs, I understand Medical/RAMC diaries are a fairly rare thing. It is called "Only With Honour". If you are in to first hand accounts you may find this of interest

Enjoy

Dave D

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, RegHannay said:

I am at present loading extracts of a Medical mans diaries 1915/1916 onto GWF blogs, I understand Medical/RAMC diaries are a fairly rare thing. It is called "Only With Honour". If you are in to first hand accounts you may find this of interest

Enjoy

Dave D

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks Dave