Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I have recently added a batch of new names to my database of men who served in the 9th Bn., King's Liverpool Regiment.

These were men who had transferred from the 10th Bn., West Riding Regiment.

The Liverpool Regt. numbers allocated to these men range from 49471 to 49779 (allocated approximately alphabetically) and I have found 79 men. Many others, I'm sure, would have been transferred on to other (non-King's units) and so won't be in the King's Liverpool Medal Rolls.

I came across the names whilst looking through the Medal Rolls of the King's Liverpool Regt. and, having added them to my files, I started a search for service papers in order to establish when this block transfer took place, and any other common details for these men. But, and herein lies the mystery - I can only find a service record for two of these 79 men. I have looked on Ancestry and FMP but without success. The two I did find were:

49692 Pte Harry Bolton

49695 Pte Alfred Feber Barker

I would expect to find something like 20 sets of papers.

Can anyone shed any light on this mystery?

temp1.jpg

temp2.jpg

temp3.jpg

Edited by Ken Lees

If the men finished their career with the battalion it may simply be an artefact of records being held held together being burnt in the records office fire.

Craig

43 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

If the men finished their career with the battalion it may simply be an artefact of records being held held together being burnt in the records office fire.

Craig

I thought that, Craig. But then, some were discharged early, some killed and the rest discharged at the conclusion.

I suppose I need to look for those who transferred to other units, to see if there are any service papers for them.

Edited by Ken Lees

But then, some were discharged early, some killed and the rest discharged at the conclusion.

Some battalions seem to have records stored numerically, some alphabetically. Some seem to have had the deceased records separate and some didn't, it really doesn't help when trying to determine what happened.

Craig