Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for information - Robert Robinson KIA

Kvh

Hello everyone I'm trying to find information about my great grandfather who was from Liverpool and he served in ww1.  I have no idea what regiment he was with, my only information I have is he is buried in Ypres.  His name was Robert Robinson .If anyone can help it would be great thanks 🦋

15036625_1808287242776339_5822486308920485791_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Kvh said:

Hello everyone I'm trying to find information about my great grandfather who was from Liverpool and he served in ww1.  I have no idea what regiment he was with, my only information I have is he is buried in Ypres.  His name was Robert Robinson .If anyone can help it would be great thanks 🦋

15036625_1808287242776339_5822486308920485791_n.jpg

Do you know the names of his parents, or his wife if married?

Edit. There is a Driver Robert Robinson. 695690.   Died 30/9/1916.  He is buried at Brandhoek New Military Cemetery, No.3.  Son of Joseph - Wife of Catherine. Upper Milk Street Liverpool. 

Edited by GWF1967

Cap badge is that for the Royal Artillery:

Image result for royal artillery badge

Another possible:

436072 ROBINSON R 01/09/1917 Gunner Royal Field Artillery"B" Bty. 122nd Bde. Belgium'L/42921' CANADA FARM CEMETERYII. G. 28.

Miss EL Basson, 41 Howard St, DERBY appear on the Inscrtiption page of the CWGC site.

Edited by Jrmh

If his wife was Catherine and he lived at 18 Upper Milk Street Liverpool this is him 695690 Driver Robert Robinson KIA 30/09/1917.

All the best Gary.

I know he had a son Charles Henry Robinson ( my grandfather) but I don't know what his mother was called and I don't know his address but thank you all for your help 🌻

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Kvh said:

I know he had a son Charles Henry Robinson ( my grandfather) but I don't know what his mother was called and I don't know his address but thank you all for your help 🌻

If you know your Grandfather's date of birth (or year even) that will help track things backwards.

I have also moved this to the Soldiers sub forum and edited the title to hopefully attract more attention

David

27 minutes ago, Kvh said:
27 minutes ago, Kvh said:

There is a family tree on Ancestry that uses the same photograph as post #1,

It lists  - Charles Henry Robinson  B. 1916 Liverpool - D. Oct. 1986 Liverpool.  - Mother Catherine Purcell - Father Robert Robinson.(B.1898)  No. 24374 71st Brigade. R.F.A.  Died 23/2/1916. 

(According to the tree details Robert  married in 1911 - Aged 13!).

It may be an idea to apply for a birth cert. for your G.Father, his father's occupation should be noted.

Edited by GWF1967

41 minutes ago, Kvh said:

Did your G.Father Charles marry Isabella Croft?

1 hour ago, dundeesown said:

If his wife was Catherine and he lived at 18 Upper Milk Street Liverpool this is him 695690 Driver Robert Robinson KIA 30/09/1917.

55 minutes ago, Kvh said:

I know he had a son Charles Henry Robinson ( my grandfather)

Thanks to the saving/digitising/publishing of pension records by the Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold 3) there is a Pension Card for:

ROBINSON, Robert Driver 695690 RFA

Died: 30.9.17 Killed in Action

Wife: Catherine d.o.b. 12.7.90

Address 18 Upper Milk Street, Liverpool

Children: John Joseph d.o.b. 9.10.12;  Sarah d.o.b. 21.7.14 and Charles Henry d.o.b. 17.5.16

Pension 26/3 per week from 22.4.18 [awarded 4.4.18]

Could this be your grandfather?

Edited by Matlock1418

4 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thanks to the saving/digitising/publishing of pension records by the Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold 3) there is a Pension Card for:

ROBINSON, Robert Driver 695690 RFA

Died: 30.9.17 Killed in Action

Wife: Catherine d.o.b. 12.7.90

Address 18 Upper Milk Street, Liverpool

Children: John Joseph d.o.b. 9.10.12;  Sarah d.o.b. 21.7.14 and Charles Henry d.o.b. 17.5.16

Pension 26/3 per week from 22.4.18 [awarded 4.4.18]

Could this be your grandfather?

I'm pretty sure 695690 is the correct man.  -  B. 1891.  Father, Joseph.  Mother Sarah Ann.  C.1911. Boarder, 18 Upper Milk Street. (Catherine Purcell is also living at No.18, relationship to householder; Niece).   Married Catherine Purcell 1911. 

His son Charles Henry Robinson was married to Isabella croft, he died in 1986. Their children were Charles Robert Robinson and Marie Hornby. 🌻 Thank you for your help 🌻

Hi Kvh,

3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

I'm pretty sure 695690 is the correct man

I think so too.

1 hour ago, Kvh said:

His son Charles Henry Robinson … died in 1986

A likely death registration seems to be...

image.png.62f57cadf7bbdb934f9efd09c9c5e24a.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

The DoB ties back nicely to that of the Charles Henry in the pension record in post #11. If that's the case, there is a service file for Robert on FMP (link), which should also be on Ancestry. The war diary for 59 DAC for the time of his death is available from here, but probably won't mention Robert by name though. His CWGC record is here. It looks like British War Graves would be able to send you an image of his resting place (free of charge) - link.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk