Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rev Harry E. Maddox M.C RAMC - No 44560

GTB

Hi there, relatively new to the forum, hope this topic / thread is in the correct place. I'm trying to locate information on Harry (44560), he was originally with the RAMC and fought at the 3rd Battle of Ypres, I'm assuming as a Padre. I'm pretty sure he was with the 166th Brigade on the first day of the battle, 31 07 1917. The 166th Brigade consisted of the 1/10th King's (Liverpool Scottish), 1/5th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, 1/5 South Lancashire Regiment and the 1/5 Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment. He was a SGT in the RAMC up until February 1916, when he joined the Army Chaplain's Department, he survived the war and served up until 1918. My query is, at the 3rd Battle of Ypres with the 166th Brigade, who was he attached to during the period mentioned below, which one of the four above mentioned Battalions was he with on that day 31 07 1917 to the 02 08 1917. He received his M.C for assisting his M.O during an attack, who was his M.O? Wondering if anybody can tell me who he was with (Battalion) during that period, and who is M.O was? Or point me in the right direction to find out. Many thanks in advance, Gary.   

Brilliant, thank you very much, greatly appreciated.

Regards and best wishes, Gary.

You probably have seen these but here is a link to his three London Gazette entries - one (1916) for his Commission and two (1917 & 1918) for his MC

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/London/notice?results-page-size=10&categorycode-all=all&numberOfLocationSearches=1&start-publish-date=1916-01-01&location-distance-1=1&sort-by=oldest-date&text="harry+edward+maddox"&end-publish-date=1919-12-31 - click on the embedded links to view

You may also be interested in his Interview Card which has the notes made when he was interviewed to become a Chaplain

https://www.chaplains-museum.co.uk/entity/139468-he-maddox?q=h e maddox - click on the thumbnail to view

Many thanks Matlock, appreciated. Have only seen the one Gazette entry and haven't seen the interview card, so thanks again. Regards, Gary.

Hi JP, many thanks for that, appreciated. I wasn't aware that he relinquished his commission in 1917, being the Rector of Lymm, Cheshire until 1924 coincides with the date on the letter to Noel's father, dated 1922 from the Rectory, Lymm, Cheshire.

Regards, Gary.