Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Depot Unit of Supply ASC - 10/08/14

DanMorris1989

Hi all,

Is there any record or diary for the 12 DUS of the ASC ... looking to find what my wife's grandfather did and whereabouts he was as he was awarded the Mons Star.

Went abroad on 10/08/1914

T/24928 S. C. Sargeant of 12 DUS

Many thanks in advance 

Dan,

information about the work of the DUS is hard to find. I don’t know about the British war diaries but I was able to find several of the Australian ones. While the locations would have been different based on the sea ports being used, the work would have been similar. 

All the best,

Gary

Hej Dan,

I agree with Gary - they are very hard to find. Have not come across any specific British DUS War Diaries for France, yet.

You may find some references to them in the War Diaries of the Inspector General of the Lines of Communications (WO 95/3949 - 39/3971).

However they rarely say a great deal, except perhaps location.

So far I have noted that they were in Nantes on 10-10-1914 and 22-10-1914.

There is a War Diary for the Nantes Area (WO 95/4041) which may be useful, although it only seems to cover medical services, sanitation, RE and Ordnance.

Steen

Depot Units of Supply were very small units - one officer and thirteen other ranks - and five of them were mobilised for each division. They were Lines of Communication Troops and, as far as I know, were used at the base ports to unload stores and supplies from ships and loading them into railway trains.

Later in the war L of C Supply Companies were formed, possibly by the consolidation of Depot Units of Supply. The companies' war diaries should be among the L of C Troops diaries.

Ron

Ron,

Thank you for this. There were also Railway Supply Detachments which likely coordinated the intake of supplies from feeder rail lines to the daily pack trains. They were probably incorporated into the L of C supply companies. The operation of these small units was critical to the sustainment process and yet so little is known about them! 

All the best,

Gary