Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DSM naming on rim

Sgt Stripes

Hi I have just seem on EBAY a DSM with A 1914-15 star. The DSM in named thus J5031 E W WRIGHT PO WIDNES MEDITERRANEAN 1918  . The star is numbered J5037..I do not know much about DSMs so my question is , is it normal practice to put the ships name and where the DSM was earned plus year on the rim of the medal.   Thank you

not my field of expertise but dont recall seeing this before 

11 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Hi I have just seem on EBAY a DSM with A 1914-15 star. The DSM in named thus J5031 E W WRIGHT PO WIDNES MEDITERRANEAN 1918  . The star is numbered J5037..I do not know much about DSMs so my question is , is it normal practice to put the ships name and where the DSM was earned plus year on the rim of the medal.   Thank you

Is it the name of the ship or where he lived?

IIRC Doesn’t the London Gazette give the home town of the recipient? I know it does for WW2 awards.

Have you seen an image of the rim?

Steve

Hi. I have been informed from medal collector's that during the great war it was normal to have some information impressed on the rim however the exact format varies. Some DSMs I have been told about are HMS LION 31 MAY- 1 JUNE 1916, RMLI ODIN EGYPT 1917 and BOAT SERVICE DANUBE.  

since posting Ive seen lots of examples with dates and places  - shame wasn't done with MMs....