Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Austro-Hungarian cemeteries on the Western front?

Sturmmann1918

I was wondering if there are any KUK cemeteries on the western front since 4 divisions fought near Verdun/ St.Mihiel from July-November 1918. Only two of these divisions saw active combat which resulted in serious casualties. I have tried to research any KUK cemeteries in the area, but have not found any information. Is it possible they would be buried in  German cemeteries? I figured someone more familiar with the area or topic may have more information.

Thanks!

Alexander

Hello,

The Austro-Hungarian dead are buried in German cemeteries. It's almost impossible to find them unless you have names etc. They are not listed separately in the cemetery registers etc.

Jan

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

The Austro-Hungarian dead are buried in German cemeteries. It's almost impossible to find them unless you have names etc. They are not listed separately in the cemetery registers etc.

Jan

Thanks Jan! I figured that was the case.

I am reading “To Conquer Hell” which is about the American advance through the Meuse Argonne October-November 1918.   There are Austrian Divisions encountered.

checking VDK at Consenvoye there are at least 62 burials I am not sure how they are marked.

from their web page.

The fallen of the Österr.-Ung. Army belonged to four k. These were divisions that had been sent to the Western Front in the summer of 1918 in support of the ally, and who were still engaged in the fighting until the cease-fire ended the war on November 11, 1918. Several kuk artillery regiments were in operation in the west since February 1918.

• 11 months later...

Hi Alexander,

Sorry for the tardy input but I know that 43 soldiers from the Austro-Hungarian Army rest in Montmédy Soldatenfriedhof in the Meuse department, NE France (to be found on Google Streetfinder). The cemetery stands on the east side of Montmédy, on the D118 to Villécloye, opposite an ALDI supermarket.

Don't know about any other VDK location in the area containing A-H men but there certainly must be some. 

As Jan points out (see above), no details about units appear on the crosses. See my post in cemeteries and memorials: Montmédy German Cemetery of two days ago.

Hope this helps.

F100D

AA Montmedy German + MVL 10 oct 2020 (301).JPG

AA Montmedy German + MVL 10 oct 2020 (300).JPG

24 minutes ago, F100D said:

Hi Alexander,

Sorry for the tardy input but I know that 43 soldiers from the Austro-Hungarian Army rest in Montmédy Soldatenfriedhof in the Meuse department, NE France (to be found on Google Streetfinder). The cemetery stands on the east side of Montmédy, on the D118 to Villécloye, opposite an ALDI supermarket.

Don't know about any other VDK location in the area containing A-H men but there certainly must be some. 

As Jan points out (see above), no details about units appear on the crosses. See my post in cemeteries and memorials: Montmédy German Cemetery of two days ago.

Hope this helps.

F100D

AA Montmedy German + MVL 10 oct 2020 (301).JPG

AA Montmedy German + MVL 10 oct 2020 (300).JPG

Better late than never! :) thanks for the information, I was planning on visiting here next year, definitely will now! 

Several Austro-Hungarians are buried in the French-German cemetery Virton Bellevue as well. A few are commemorated in Langemark. One Austro-Hungarian is also buried in Erquinghem sur Lys Churchyard Extension (there you can see his unit as he's on a Commonwealth cemetery).

Jan