Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF service papers / Ancestry

BillyH

I seem to remember that a few years ago the basic RAF service papers used to be available on Ancestry.

Am I right in thinking that they have now all been moved onto (their moneymaking subsidiary) Fold3?

If they are still on Ancestry itself can anyone give me a link to them please.

BillyH.

Thanks Steve, leaves me with a nasty taste in the mouth.   :angry:

BillyH.

Yes not good, it is also really annoying that " as they are now on-line" you can no longer look at the originals at Kew.  Caused me no end of problems when I was researching RAF Silver War Badges a few years ago and needed to look at EVERY service record. 

Steve

21 minutes ago, hmsk212 said:

as they are now on-line" you can no longer look at the originals at Kew. 

Just confirming what Steve says, they are on FMP.  However, the National Archives site says you can see them at Kew.

Example 311958 JEG Jones 

Ancestry on Fold 3 (grrr)

Document on FMP https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&lastname=jones&soldiernumber=311958&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain (under the image)

Record at Kew   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12713101  (More ways to view this record) - or is that out of date???

Max

Edited by MaxD

Hi Max

Believe me you are not allowed to see the originals at Kew. Where it mentions " more ways to view this record " they mean that you can access the records "on-line"  at Kew for free.

From the NA website

Please note: when a surrogate version of a document is available – digital, microfilm or microfiche – you will not be able to order the original record unless:

• the surrogate is illegible or obscured
  • viewing the original record provides information not available from the surrogate

To request to view the original record where a surrogate exists, please complete our records and research enquiry form. You need to include:

• your reader’s ticket number
  • the date of your visit
  • details of why the surrogate is not suitable for your purposes

Steve

Edited by hmsk212