Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant GW Downs.

I'm trying to find out more information and what happened to this soldier.  I have a photo of my great grandad in the Grenadier Guards in June 1917 that says Sergt G W Down's Squad, Grenadier Guards, June 1917. That's all I have on him! Anything else would be appreciated, thanks!

There is a Guardsman George William DOWNS 11978 of the 1st Bn GG in Medal Records. He is listed as entitled to 1914 Star,British War and Victory Medals.

On first landing on 7.10.1914 the unit was with 20 Inf Bde of 7 Division and later,in Aug 1915,a Guards Division was created and the unit was with 3 Guards Bde of Guards Division.

This soldier appears to have survived the war.

Edited by sotonmate

18 hours ago, sotonmate said:

There is a Guardsman George William DOWNS 11978 of the 1st Bn GG in Medal Records. He is listed as entitled to 1914 Star,British War and Victory Medals.

On first landing on 7.10.1914 the unit was with 20 Inf Bde of 7 Division and later,in Aug 1915,a Guards Division was created and the unit was with 3 Guards Bde of Guards Division.

This soldier appears to have survived the war.

Thanks, but he was a sergeant  not a Guardsman.

A lack of other GG candidates in Medal records with your details ! Do you know any more about his service, was he a Regular,age,duration etc, and residence ?

Is it possible that he served only at Home ?  Training, possibly ?

He was probably not a guardsman either - rank created in 1918. Most likely he wasnt a Sgt in France - hence not shown on medal card - Sgt was probably his rank when he was in charge of recruits in the UK

His number looks early so would have been a pre war regular  - not that Im an expert as its the wrong Guards B)

Edited by Coldstreamer

Sotonmate as almost certainly found the right person given the info he had - if not Ill eat my bearskin 

Edited by Coldstreamer

His papers are available on line

Back from France December 1914 - and rank above Private at home as didnt go back to France

was in 5th Btn which I THINK is a reserve/training btn

was he from Nottingham?

I know nothing about him.He's not family. This is all i have on him. The soldier in question is on the left of the guy in white as you look at the photo.

WIN_20191112_19_24_31_Pro.jpg

Edited by Guest

given what you have I would say this is your man

8 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

given what you have I would say this is your man

Hope so, another part of the jigsaw. So even though he was a sergeant he didn't go to France?

1 hour ago, Coldstreamer said:

His papers are available on line

Back from France December 1914 - and rank above Private at home as didnt go back to France

was in 5th Btn which I THINK is a reserve/training btn

was he from Nottingham?

My great grandad transferred to 4th battalion grenadier guards from 5th battalion in 1918. So GW Downs was maybe his training sergeant?

Edited by Guest

some people had to stop at home and do the training of the new men - being a Sgt gave him the authority over the other ranks - Ive medals to many men who had rank and never went overseas in WW1

he may well have trained him at some point yes - sometimes you get fully named squad pictures (the Coldstream did and this pic is the same style)

FMP has this which shows Downs as Sergeant

image.png.658535c01bd559a3470d1f571390eb57.png

George

as does post 12 :thumbsup: