Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helmet production information - Sheffield 1916

scottmarchand

On another forum a member there posted pictures that a friend of his sent him from a folio in the University of Sheffield archives relating to war material production. Its a fascinating insight to the production and procurement process.

hel.jpg

hel2.jpg

hel3.jpg

hel4.jpg

hel5.jpg

Scott,

What a marvellous collection of information.

I have learned quite a few things that I did not previously know,

1) Defect rate = 3.9%

2) Cost was 4 sh and 6 d each, presumably totally finished.

3) W. & E. Viener Ltd was a manufacturer of helmets (Spec. says "Shrapnel-proof" rather than "bullet-proof"; cost only 9d. each, presumably for pressing only)

4) Vololo Corrugated Steel Cask Co. was a presser of helmets

I noted the implied urgency of the contract with Vololo dated July 26, 1916, just 3 1/2 weeks into the Battle of the Somme.

Could there be any more info coming from this source?

Complete listings of (a) steel suppliers, and (b) pressing firms would be nice to have.

Many thanks for posting.

Regards,

JMB

what a fantastic little find,

many thanks for sharing it with us.

Dave.

JMB - I know, quite an insight. Technically they were always intended to be and referred to as 'Shrapnel Helmets' as protect from artillery barrages, which typically reigned shrapnel down overhead and were not intended to be 'bulletproof'. It also makes mention to the batch numbers which are seen stamped on the helmets.

Dave - I have asked the original poster if more was there or if a call number, reference was available. No reply just yet, you know how forums can be. But very pleased t have even this.

Scott,

Thank you for posting these very interesting documents.  Much appreciated.  I have been meaning to order Sheffield in the Great War by Peter Warr and your post has prompted me to do so. 

Michael.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting Scott. The above documents are part of a much larger archive held by the university under the heading 'Sheffield Committee on Munitions War Archive which are free to view by appointment, see here, I'm a Sheffield lad but have lived in exile for 25 years, still have family there but alas it's not too often that I get back there these days.

Michael, I can recommend the book by Peter Ward and if it is Sheffield you're interested in I can also recommend 'The Home Front - Sheffield in the First World War' by Scott Lomax.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting indeed. These old documents and letters fascinate me, not just the content but the language and way of writing.