Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eurotunnel Holdups French Side Anymore ?

Deckape

Hi Everyone

On my last trip over this March it took ages to get through the French Eurotunnel side due to every car being stopped and checked.

I've read now that this has now stopped and it is approx 7 cars selected for X Ray whilst the rest go through.

I'm going over again next week, has anyone been back in the last week or two and can let me know if I need to leave a lot earlier still or have things gone back to normal / changed again ?

Thanks

• Admin

Came through last Monday, no hold ups.  Previous journey on a Saturday in September was full of hold ups. 

Michelle 

we always turn up early so dont worry about holdups. only once this year, May or June there were 3 hour delays but we still got out within 30 mins of our original choice.

we always book the last free crossing around 13.20 or 13.50 and arrive around 11.00, then its into pet control. there are usually queues but normally move. only once we have been directed to the new xray machine, off putting as you have to leave engine running and all get out. with keyless ignition car can set the alarm off or if you leave key fob inside it sets alarm off again...progress I suppose. the way forward.

returning on Saturday so will see

I hope they are quicker at x-raying the 7 cars than they were when we got pulled over last summer.  We were the sixth car in the queue and it was taking them more than 5 minutes to process one car, thus making it a bit uncomfortable for us as the departure time approached, notwithstanding that we had arrived almost 90 minutes before the departure time.  It makes you a bit careful before accepting an early departure and then getting pulled over.  Meanwhile all other vehicles, not selected for x-ray, go straight through.  As I said in an earlier thread on this, it would make more sense in such circumstances just to pull over 3 vehicles at a time.  Same end result in terms of vehicles checked but much less of a delay for those concerned unless they have considerably speeded up their operation.

Talking of delays, we have noticed that these seem to be increasing.  I suspect it is part of a cost-cutting exercise which is really train cancellations and squeezing everybody into one train.  This happened to us on our last return a couple of weeks ago.  It was compounded by a further 15-20 minute delay when leaving the train when a vehicle about 4 in front of us refused to start (couldn't blame Eurotunnel for that)!  It wasn't the best experience we have had!

I would suggest that the hold ups are the fore runner to Brexit. they are probably upping the checks in preparation for all of us drink smugglers :rolleyes:

practicing now may speed up the process and iron out faults when it comes into force. the hold up I dont understand is getting swiped at Folkestone on the way over. with the amount of drug and arms freedom there is in Europe you would have thought it more mportant to swipe on the way back,

2 minutes ago, chaz said:

I would suggest that the hold ups are the fore runner to Brexit. they are probably upping the checks in preparation for all of us drink smugglers :rolleyes:

practicing now may speed up the process and iron out faults when it comes into force. the hold up I dont understand is getting swiped at Folkestone on the way over. with the amount of drug and arms freedom there is in Europe you would have thought it more mportant to swipe on the way back,

Wow, what have you got in your drinks Chaz for them to show up? :o;)

couldnt possibly say... by smuggling im referring to the quantity that we will be restricted to..

we are currently emptying our cellar in France, some of it must be 5 years old

a Polish workmate brings his own home made hooch back when he visits home. normally around 150% proof, brings 20 litres then waters it down here to around 80proof and gets more to drink here, 

1 hour ago, chaz said:

couldnt possibly say... by smuggling im referring to the quantity that we will be restricted to..

we are currently emptying our cellar in France, some of it must be 5 years old

I'm doing the same.  Unfortunately, we don't have a cave here so SWMBO is getting fed up with all the bottles in various rooms.  I tell her I'm doing my best to create some space .... if only to fill it again after each visit.  I'm going solo next month so I will have a good time partying with myself over there.

Left Bonnieres around 8am this morning.. sat indoors with a cuppa at 3pm (both local times).

slight hold ups for barrier repairs along the A26 although nothing on Autoroutes.fr , kept going but down to a single lane.

straight into pet control, out through passport checks, pointed over to garage #1 where they were looking at two vans, customs came over, we opened the boot, had a chat  then

off to duty free, collected an order and BK then off to the holding lines. caught the 11.50 having sat and ate the food.

all in all, cant complain. only the one queue at the first control, so I went into the open empty channel. young chap being trained, lady asked a few questions and directed us to garage 1.

10/10 Eurotunnel

Thanks Chaz, I came back today, no problems. Just one lane open but quick check over the with the 'wand' and all fine. 

Much much better than last March, also 10/10 ! Cheers