Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field Post Office 57

Owen D

Just wondering where Field Post Office 57 was located on 20th March 1918.

I know where the sender was thanks to the war diary & regimental history but wondered what info there was on  FPO 57.

Cheers.

fpo57.JPG

Edited by Owen D

Hi

if you contact the RE museum at Brompton they may be able to be of assistance as they have a field PO section on display 

Dave

Would this fit with being allocated to 94th Brigade? in 31st Division? [but had that in fact been disbanded by then???] As I understand it it would be with Brigade HQ? [that info from Kennedy and Crabbs 'Postal History ...' but with a  ???  They list that date stamp being used by 24th Brigade [8th Division?] until at least Feb 1918  . the date stamps were circulated amongst units for security purpose at that time, i believe.. and so not necessarily with the specific FPO

On 15/11/2019 at 22:53, battiscombe said:

Would this fit with being allocated to 94th Brigade? in 31st Division? [but had that in fact been disbanded by then???] As I understand it it would be with Brigade HQ? [that info from Kennedy and Crabbs 'Postal History ...' but with a  ???  They list that date stamp being used by 24th Brigade [8th Division?] until at least Feb 1918  . the date stamps were circulated amongst units for security purpose at that time, i believe.. and so not necessarily with the specific FPO

Thanks for your reply.

The sender was in 4GG , 4th Gds Bde , 31st Div at the time.

Looking further I see this seems to fit with 4th Guards Bde.. coming to 31 Div from GHQ Reserve. Kennedy and Crabbs 'Postal History  in my 1977 edition was only able to suggest they may have used  a FPO date stamp with a 4B on it... while 94th Brigade of 31 Div were thought  to have used the FPO datestamp 57 unitl Feb.. and maybe again in May.. so your letter may be of some interest in confirming that. But it seems to reside at Brigade HQ.. 31 Div HQ was listed as having date stamp D37, 31 Div Train - T37; 92 Bde - 4X; 93 Bde - 56; 94 Bde - ? [but broken up 17/2/1918 until reformed 30/5/1918]; 4thGds - 4B?

This is from the RE museum to give you some idea of the variety out there.

E91A0790-6632-461E-9A1A-3A4C58F2DC1C.jpeg

D3408BDC-DD3D-4F03-B2D3-21CA5769BF2C.jpeg

morrisc8 and Dave 1418

Not wishing to hijack this post I sent a pm to battiscombe about the date stamp on the FSPC sent home by my RE grandfather to say that he was wounded. I received a kind reply that it would have most likely been a Home Service stamp that would have been sent from a hospital in England. My gf was 83123 Spr John Morris RE and I think that he was wounded on 03/09/1916 serving with 20 Div RE at Guillemont. He is named in the Times OCL 11/10/1916 under RE wounded, as are all of the other wounded from 20 Div RE that I have researched. One man, 44831 Thomas Croally of 84 FC, has a service record which shows that he was wounded on 03/09/1916 and evacuated to England on 05/09/1916 where he went to the Beaufort War Hospital in Bristol. So it would make sense that it was sent from a UK hospital. Could I please ask you gentleman if you could confirm that it was a home stamp or provide any other info. Thank you

Brian

fspc front.jpg

Keith

Thank you for the information. Battiscombe was working on the principle that it might be M2 and not H2. Do you know what the B above the date means. 

Owen D

Apologies for coming into this thread but it seemed to be about FPOs in general rather than anyone in particular.

Brian

`Do you know what the B above the date means`.  Sorry i do not know, they did use A.B. and a star or left it blank , and i cant find a FP0 M2 in my book so i think it is FP0 H2.

Thank you Keith.

I will try and get hold of the books mentioned and check the Museum.

Brian