Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Charles FARMER, 2Bn Northamptonshire Regt, POW

Northants

RE: Leonard Charles FARMER, 2Bn Northamptonshire Regt, POW, S/N:3/9942

I recently requested my grandfather's WW2 Service records and when I received them I was amazed and pleased to discover that they also included a duplicate copy of his WW1 Service Records, which were not available from the burnt collection. 

The information contained in them confirmed much of the information that I had been able to gather over the years from other collections and a lot of sluthing work.

Leonard Charles FARMER joined the 3rd Bn Northamptonshire Regt in 1914, was posted to France in 1916 to the 2nd Bn and was captured and taked POW during the Battle of Asine 28 May 1918.

I have been trying to discover a repatriation record for him. Unfortunately, although he does have a couple of entries in the ICRC Grand Guerre site, there is no repatriation record.

However, on his WW1 Service record it records "Repatriated POW List X90512". This does not relate to a record on ICRC.

Can anyone shed any light on where I may be able to locate this list.

Thanks

IMG_20180821_0014.jpg

Appears in a war office list published 16/12/18 as

"Released Prisoner of War from Germany, arrived in England"

So arrived back in the weeks just proceeding that date

FWR transcibed record, Looked on BNA and cannot find list published so far

edit.

The OCR has him as Fanner hence hard to pick him up. Image courtesy BNA

farmer.jpg.c517916eb334cc934fafc8dea09171f7.jpg

Edited by Mark1959

Your GF landed at Leith 1/12/18 on the ship SS Russ.

The X reference is presumably origanally a master list for a ship ? Then the results are split byrelevant  record office and notifed accordingly. These X Refs can be found on ICRC but are often not indexed but here is the header for the Warwick Office which at least gives you the ship name and landing date. As you will see you can go to ICRC record R53525 and scroll back and forth to find other units on same ship. Unfortunately you will see that the pages re Northants are noted by ICRC as missing !  These repatriation sheets are often not indexed on the ICRC cards

389446143_GWFICRCRepatX90512.JPG.67ee8fc2821e4978f2be647138429be5.JPG

789181845_GWFICRCRepatX90512missing.JPG.ea4f4e1af8117bf3de69aa93e39c70ff.JPG

I think R53519-R53524 (manque = missing lists) are the ones that included the Northants. But do check the others.

Charlie

• 4 weeks later...

Mark, Charlie,

Apologies for not responding sooner, I have just returned from a 3-week treking holiday in Patagonia.

Many thanks for your responses. I will get a copy of the War List from Newspapers.com, and after having a look through the ICRC records that you were able to find, it does look like the relevant page is missing. Still, you were able to identify the ship that he was repatriated on, so that will give me something to chase up.

Thanks again.

Peter 

Hi Peter,

3 hours ago, Northants said:

I will get a copy of the War List from Newspapers.com

A decent 'clean' copy is also available from the National Library of Scotland - link

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk