Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LT L.R FOX (DFC) RAF Died 1-5-1919

Marks

Trying to find out more information on Lt Leslie Robert FOX RAF Born 24/3/1899 West Ham Died 1-5-1919 Sickness Norwich

Royal Aero Club Aviators Certificate 14-9-1917 2LT R.F.C Home Manor Park

Awarded Distinguished Flying Cross 1-1-1919 ? (not shown by CWGC) Squadron ?

Buried City of London Cem & Crem Manor Park

TIA

Mark

He has two record cards: this is a meld of both: interesting career!

card.jpg

Which translates as:

South Farnborough

Oxford (2 School of Military Aeronautics) 12Apr17

4 Reserve Squadron, Northolt 25May17

65 Sqn Wye (nucleus with no aircraft) 28Jun17; possibly typo for 65 TS (see below)

Group Pool 14Aug17 (usually awaiting posting)

65 Training Sqn Sedgeford 21Aug17

9 Training Sqn Norwich 21Oct17 on appointment as Flying Officer

No.1 School of Navigation & Bomb Dropping, Stonehenge 08Jan18

216 Sqn in BEF 03Apr18 (Handley Page 0/100 and 0/400 bombers), Ochey and others

(not easily readable but to 10 RX Hospital 11Nov18 (EDIT: 10 Red Cross Hospital, Treport))

Embarked for England 13Nov18

Sick leave Midland Area 13Jan19 for 27 Group

Midland Area to 27 Group Bircham Newton 13Jan19

HQ 27 Group to 166 Sqn Bircham Newton (HP V/1500 bombers) 20Jan19

Hospital Norwich 13Feb19

Died Norfolk War Hospital 01May19

Edited by quemerford

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

His two page Royal Air Force service record in on the National Archive site - you can either download it for a fee or most of the salient details can be seen in the heavily watermarked preview version.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8261166

This includes units, dates of posting, aircraft type flown and courses attended.

It states he died at the Norfolk War Hospital. While it places it's in Norwich, the former Norfolk County Asylum was then in open countryside well outside the city at Thorpe St Andrew.

(The suburbs of Norwich now extend well beyond it and it has all been converted into housing).

A contemporary picture of the Hospital can be seen here

https://norfolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/PICNOR/BIBENQ/106660294/47432637,25?FMT=IMG

(Edit - see quemerford has beat me with a much more helpful cut of the documents :)

The 1919 Probate Calendar records that Leslie Robert Fox, of 84 Durham Road, Manor Park, Essex, a Lieutenant RAF, died on the 1st  May 1919 at the War Hospital, Thorpe, Norwich. Administration of his estate was awarded at the London Court on the 8th July 1919 to William Thomas Fox, mercantile clerk. His effects were valued at £391 19s 3d.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Fox&yearOfDeath=1919&page=3#calendar

His Air Force Distinguished Flying Cross was awarded in the New Years Honours list, so reflects a general high standard rather than for a specific event.

I can't see a mention of what sickness he died of, but assuming it was being treated and he died in hospital, then it seems unlikely to resulted in a coroners inquest. I'm afraid I've only taken notes on some of the local titles up to the end of March 1919 so can't say for certain.

Is there anything specific you are looking for?

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Too much multi-tasking :-)

Mark,

The casualty card for Lt. Leslie Robert Fox at the RAF Museum, Hendon, states his cause of death as "Bright's Disease"

(now called Glomerulonephritis, an inflammation of the structures of the kidneys).

Josquin

Hi

Thanks everybody ! Great information just the boost I needed for material.

Came across

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/story/101389

I think I now have enough evidence for the CWGC to add his Distinguished Flying Cross !

Most of my research relates to WW2 RAF Bomber Command so this research is interesting because it's WW1 Bomber Command !

Thanks again

Mark

• 3 weeks later...