Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Regiment Gazette

condronjames

Hello

Does anyone know where I might be able to view copies of the Essex Regiment Gazette. In particular, I’m after the two mentions of my Great Uncle, Benjamin Guiver, who I’ve previously been told on here has these mentions. I’d love to see the original documents (maybe they are held at an archive?), or scanned copies.

4785 Guiver Benjamin Sgt 1 B Coy ERG APL 12 Granted 6 Month furlough to England

4785 Guiver Benjamin Sgt 22.6.12 ERG JUL 12 Second OCA Dinner Serving member attending

Thanks

James 

The British Library appears to have copies only from 1921. The National Army Museum doesn't appear to have copies, nor Oxford University Library.

Perhaps you could try Essex Regiment Museum

https://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/museums/visit/essex-regiment-museum/

Essex record Office https://www.essexrecordoffice.co.uk has something, but I think it is just a 1935 edition. catalogue reference D/DU 346/8/11 

Another option may be to enquire at the Prince Consort's Library in Aldershot, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page of that name

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Prince_Consort's_Library

However, this Library was to be closed for renovations, and I don't know if it has reopened.

Cheers

Maureen

Are the dates shown 1912? Do you know which battalion he was in? Or why he got 6 months furlough.

Are you sure he served during WW1? I cannot find a MiC for him.

Edited by johnboy

Thanks @MaureeneHave tried the Essex Regiment Museum, but they didn’t seem to be able to help with this. 

@johnboy he was in B Company of the 1st Battalion. The second one is definitely 1912, not 100% sure on first, but he was on furlough in 1912. I don’t know why he got 6 months. He definitely served in WW1. He was at Gallipoli. There is a medal card somewhere.

Thank you both for your help.

James 

Using the info given FMP and Ancestry come up with no results. Military , Census , BMD. Do you know where he was from, date of birth, was he married, did he have children and when did he die?

Found medal card on ancestry & TNA. Medal Roll is also on Anc, but he is on the Labour Corps Rolls.

Benjamin GUIVER

entered ToW 2 (b) Balkans 21.3.1915 as 4785 Sjt Essex Regiment

BWM & VM Roll of Lab Corps says left Essex Regiment as WOII

Discharged as 72601 Labour Corps CQMSjt WOII 4.3.1919

That’s the man. He was in the Essex Regiment from 1897, served in the Boer War, and was then stationed in India. It would seem the Gazette mentions were during his time in India. 

To fill in other details - born 1873 in/near Chadwell Heath, Essex. Married to Elizabeth Borrett in 1917. One child - Ethel. Died 1952 in Rochford, Essex. I’ve attached a picture too. 

F0FAF2D0-75A4-4FCD-9E04-DE39FE527E75.jpeg

A real old soldier !  Looks hard enough to roller skate on.  Love the mustache.  Thanks for sharing CJ.  By the way what are the other two medals ?  First one appears to be a QSA ?  Can't quite Make out the last ?

Edited by bif

The first is the QSA. The one on the right is the Long Service and Good Conduct medal. He was later also awarded the Meritorious Service medal. I’m pleased to say that I own all of them.

8 hours ago, condronjames said:

Meritorious Service

The LS & GC was normally exchanged when awarded with an MSM, but not always.  What do you know about the MSM, please ?

About right.  My man got a DCM for Omdurman and was awarded an MSM in 1934 !