Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard C Crouchman - York & Lancaster

HughesS&J

Hi,  i hope someone can help me as i am trying to track down the battalion my grandfather was in and his medical records, when he was wounded so i can track his journey back to the UK. On his medal card it shows that he was in the Y&L  63722 and then Labour Corps (NCLC) 682980. He enlisted on the 1.3.1916  at Chelmsford and was discharged on 24.3.1919. A cousin says he was first posted with the Royal Fusiliers.  He was wounded twice - first ? on the Somme and losing an eye at Passchendaele. He received a Silver badge B270333 / L.C/4835.  Unfortunately i am not in the position to visit the Chelmsford records office to view the Absent voting records as i live in NZ.

Thank you, Jan

Have nothing to contribute on his WW1 military activities, but he seems to have been in the Chelsea News & General Advertiser in March 1915.  This is from the British Newspaper archives index.  I don't have a sub to BNA to look at the full article.

yet decided what action they would take.—Prisoner was again remanded bail. Patbbnitt Cash from Scthreland Strbht.— Leonard Charles Crouchman. a young farm labourer, of The Wash, Leaden Roothiug, near Dunmow, Essex, was summoned by Dora Harriett Marriott ...

Published: Friday 05 March 1915 
Newspaper: Chelsea News and General Advertiser 

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1910-01-01/1919-12-31?basicsearch=leonard crouchman&exactsearch=false&retrievecountrycounts=false

25 minutes ago, travers61 said:

Have nothing to contribute on his WW1 military activities, but he seems to have been in the Chelsea News & General Advertiser in March 1915.  This is from the British Newspaper archives index.  I don't have a sub to BNA to look at the full article.

yet decided what action they would take.—Prisoner was again remanded bail. Patbbnitt Cash from Scthreland Strbht.— Leonard Charles Crouchman. a young farm labourer, of The Wash, Leaden Roothiug, near Dunmow, Essex, was summoned by Dora Harriett Marriott ...

Published: Friday 05 March 1915 
Newspaper: Chelsea News and General Advertiser 

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1910-01-01/1919-12-31?basicsearch=leonard crouchman&exactsearch=false&retrievecountrycounts=false

It was a paternity case....Leonard was ordered to pay until the lad was 14 yrs old.

Screenshot_20191110-235907.jpg

8 hours ago, travers61 said:

Thanks for confirming reason for him being summoned to court by Dora.

Cheers...a strong possibility for his son was Alfred L Marriott b Jan 1915.

Dora may well have later married a chap with the surname of Edge.

Leonard's father John seems to have died accidentally in 1912 after walking into a pond in the fog on his employers estate

Leonard appears to have had a motorcycle accident in June 1927..

Screenshot_20191111-085153.jpg

Married the same year....all courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20191111-085724.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Jan originally posted this on Casualty Lists and I advised her to start a new thread in Soldiers. This Leonard Crouchman was suggested by myself but it might not be her man.

Brian

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/89635-casualty-lists/page/40/#comments

34 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

Jan originally posted this on Casualty Lists and I advised her to start a new thread in Soldiers. This Leonard Crouchman was suggested by myself but it might not be her man.

Brian

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/89635-casualty-lists/page/40/#comments

I think you are on the right track...according to Freebmd there is only the one Leonard Crouchman born between 1880 and 1900.

Edited by sadbrewer

• 2 weeks later...