Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wearing Bogus Medals

charlie962

I've seen threads previously on the forum about men wearing bogus gallantry awards. not sure if this one has been posted before ?

Courtesy FindmyPast: Illustrated Police News Dec 1917

71865671_GWFBogusHero1.JPG.82c173f6a68967cd9a9dab96ab6594f8.JPG

114378194_GWFBogusHero2.JPG.2b6dacd2220d4474e704bf9fb5cf5d4c.JPG

Tapping in 'Bogus medals' or 'bogus hero' into FindmyPast Newspapers brings up a fascinating variety of stories across the country, before, during and after the Great War.

Edited by charlie962

an early Walter Mitty…. it's the time of year when they will be coming out again…

nice find!

M.

I came across a similar character whilst researching my book several years ago. Frederick John Betcke, a New Zealand Boer War veteran, who posed as General or Brigadier- General. He was charged for wearing a Victoria Cross and Distinguished Conduct Medal at times. He would attend recruiting musters and at one stage employed a discharged soldier (wounded at Gallipoli) as his aide-de-campe. 

When Betcke was arrested one newspaper quoted the Gallipoli veteran as saying "Well I'm jiggered. I got a big enough shock at Gallipoli when a shell buried me, but this is a bigger shock!"

A strange character.

Scott

Betcke 1.JPG

Betcke 2.JPG

Edited by Waddell
Spelling.

3 hours ago, Waddell said:

A strange character.

So a bump on the head from falling off his horse turned him to 'silly masquarading'. I cannot imagine the sentence stopped him ?

But those that were clearly for personal financial gain were clearly in the majority.

museumtom previously posted a good one here

This was an offence in Great Britain under the Defence Of the Realm Act. I was looking into this, with regard to the Admiralty earlier this year