Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L Cpl C A Robinson 3309

mindful45

One suggestion may be to contact a paper in NSW - I am thinking of doing this.....well they may be interested, so I shall see what I can do on that side of things.

I am on Ancestry so maybe I will be able to contact someone that way too....

Here are his siblings as per Ancestry family tree. One brother Claude had a son who was killed at the fall of Singapore. The other who died in 1916 does not appear to be war related.

robinson.jpg

Impressive work. I still haven't heard anything back from the Cullingworth History Society. I will give it a few more days and then I shall see if I can find a paper in NSW and contact them......they may be interested, it will give them something different to explore, instead of all those devastating fires. No idea if this will be successful, but trying doesn't hurt.

Ok, I have heard back from the CWGC, they are amending their records regarding his middle name, it will no longer read Alexander then...so we have done something positive there. ;) 

It appears that they exhumed his body, which is not something they normally do, so it was a little unusual, as the cemetery was overgrown and the grave was hard to get access to. Now it seems that they got permission to do so from a surviving relative, so I assume there must be somebody around. I will clarify this, so that we know for sure that there is family who are aware that his grave has been moved and that there is someone still able to remember him. Apparently there was a non disturbance agreement that was reached regarding the grave.

I hope you find this of interest!

Good work mindful45,

The view of the graveyard on Streetview did indeed suggest  it was overgrown and it's understandable that the grave could not easily be maintained there.

Thanks, I am still pondering the merits of contacting a newspaper in NSW - just in case...…..I heard back from Cullingworth, and the history society there was unable to find any family members...….so we know someone was around in 2012....hmmm....

Have you tried Bradford City Council?....they were very helpful in finding the whereabouts of the grave of my wife's grandfather....I realise you know where the grave is but there might be other information available.

Update time - I have contacted the Glenn Innes Examiner, and the Inverell Times in NSW in the hope that they may print an article about Colin with the aim of locating any relatives who may still be out there. These papers are for the areas of Deepwater and Inverell which are (1) where Colin resided with his wife Alice however briefly and where she continued to live once he went overseas and (2) where Colin was born respectively.

No idea if I will hear back from Australia or whether the papers will be interested, but I have given it a go.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have a small but heart-warming story from my great aunt’s memoirs which I am sure relates to Colin Robinson, although she didn’t recognise him as an Australian. She writes...

Later in the war we lived in Cullingworth and I went in Annie Phillips’ shop for something for my mother and there was a Canadian or New Zealand soldier in there wearing his uniform and slouch hat. He said to her “Give this little girl a quarter of sweets” and I got them weighed out. I hardly dared go home, I’d only ever had a ha’porth of sweets or an ounce before, and my mother asked where I’d got them. I’d a right job explaining.

so it seems Colin made a big impression on a 13 year old girl who’d remembered him for the rest of her very long life.