Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone know of photos, German S71, in field

Steve1871

There are a lot of photos, Studio showing German soldiers with S71 bayonets on Gew88 rifles, and more, showing platoon size group photos with these bayonets and even the rifles., but outside only 2 photo’s that have been on several post’s on this Forum, one showing a back shot of soldier with S71 at a mess wagon and the other photo showing an older sidearm which has been on many post as well as other web sites, this pic. I can not seem to find any photo’s with these early bayonets/ rifles actually in the field . The unit markings and group pics show their use

( reserve troops) Just looking for any other pics out there

43837404-628A-4488-BCC3-2AD4C4447C7D.jpeg

Hi,

bayonets are not my forte, but if you can tell me what kind of troops (Landsturm/Landwehr) were equipped with the M71 I might find a photo or two in my collection.

Best,

GreyC

Yes, Landstrum and other reserve type troops, artillery , and train, as well as the German navy used the S71 hirschfanger bayonet , changed to the 71/84 then later went back to the regular S71 Hirsch, Lansing parties and so on, I seen train pics with troops with S71, but poor quality , enlarge and pic goes bad

2 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

There are a lot of photos, Studio showing German soldiers with S71 bayonets on Gew88 rifles, and more, showing platoon size group photos with these bayonets and even the rifles., but outside only 2 photo’s that have been on several post’s on this Forum, one showing a back shot of soldier with S71 at a mess wagon and the other photo showing an older sidearm which has been on many post as well as other web sites, this pic. I can not seem to find any photo’s with these early bayonets/ rifles actually in the field . The unit markings and group pics show their use

( reserve troops) Just looking for any other pics out there

43837404-628A-4488-BCC3-2AD4C4447C7D.jpeg

Hi. Funnily enough I posted this exact photo in a thread the other day (entitled pre war German side arms). I actually think that the brass hilted weapon in this photo is a German faschinenmesser side arm rather than an S71 bayonet. These would have been more use to a gun crew for clearing fields of fire etc, than a bayonet. Happy to be corrected but that's what it looks like to me. 

Those are nice, thanks GreyC

Glad you like them. Probably have a few more, but have not indexed them all. Should I come across them, I´ll try not to forget to post them here.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Great help, just wondering, there are perhaps ten’s of thousands of photo’s from the Great War, Yet some area’s there are little photo coverage, simply in book’s

The Giant push from the Germans in Ooeration Albion in the east, the Kreigsmarine had their Marine, Landing party, troops, I forgot what they were called, but thy that was a massive operation.  And all the colonies big and small used the Rifles, mostly the M71 type  while the Germans used the Gew98 as well as the Western front, the supply colons and the Trains had a variety of weapons, guess I just a tad ol’ Fashioned

Hey GrayC

Your first photo is very interesting, It show’s the four men in front with the M71 Mauser that I love, collect, complete with correct S71 bayonet on the left  two, the right two have modified Gras bayonets on their M71 rifles, and the three men in back, civilians, the center one has a Gras rifle, while the other two have double barrel shotguns

The second pic showing Gew88 rifles with two S71 bayonets, complete with model M 80 or 88 for the M71 Mauser, both very interesting photo’s, I know very little about uniforms , those hats are very interesting, Did they wear those in battle?

thanks again GrayC

Hi Steve,

thanks for the input on the weapons, will add the info to the picture. The "Wachstuchmütze" /oilskin cap was worn (in WW1) by Landsturm units until the advent of the steel-helmet. As the war progressed and the active Landsturm-infantry units were equipped with them, and then all mobile Landsturm units, Wachstuchmützen were only used by immobile units on home soil. In 1918, shortly before war´s end, the Wachstuch Mützen were done away with. They all had the Landwehrkreuz in yellow metal on it and different mottoes, according to the individual state.

GreyC

13 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi Steve,

thanks for the input on the weapons, will add the info to the picture. The "Wachstuchmütze" /oilskin cap was worn (in WW1) by Landsturm units until the advent of the steel-helmet. As the war progressed and the active Landsturm-infantry units were equipped with them, and then all mobile Landsturm units, Wachstuchmützen were only used by immobile units on home soil. In 1918, shortly before war´s end, the Wachstuch Mützen were done away with. They all had the Landwehrkreuz in yellow metal on it and different mottoes, according to the individual state.

GreyC

The Wachstuchmütze was worn in combat (with a fieldgray cover) by f.i. Bayerisches Reserve Infanterie Regiment 16 (in which served Adolf Hitler) in October/November 1914 as there was a shortage of spiked helmets. It led to them being fired upon by other German units as the Bavarians were thought to be British (who were peaked caps at the time). They had to sing German songs such as the Deutschlandlied to be recognised as Germans by the other German units.

Jan

Offcoarse nice period pictures, the answer 4 picture, soldier first from right has probably a Gras M1874 conversion, the second man from right wear a belgian M1889 bayonet for carbine with long blade conversion or a earlier belgian bayonet, question is what for rifles their wear?. 

Edited by AndyBsk

on the picture should be the rifles mostly presented there Gew.71 or Gew.71/84, with exception "schrottflinte" and Chassepot like described by Steve.

Hi

I came across the handle of one when walking a trench line near to the Quarries cemetery at Loos.

This was definitely on the front line 

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2019 at 19:42, NorthStaffsPOW said:

Hi. Funnily enough I posted this exact photo in a thread the other day (entitled pre war German side arms). I actually think that the brass hilted weapon in this photo is a German faschinenmesser side arm rather than an S71 bayonet. These would have been more use to a gun crew for clearing fields of fire etc, than a bayonet. Happy to be corrected but that's what it looks like to me. 

You are quite right. I also wrongly identified it as a S.71 on a post here some time ago, but the curve is unmistakeable.

Trajan

• 1 month later...

good morning,

merry christmas.

here is a pattern 1871 bayonet found in the 1st line not far from "TRANCHEE DE MECKNES CEMETERY" with other objects such as:
. 1 lebel
- 1 mauser
- 4 double compartment ammunition boxes regimented in the 112th Baden.

- 1 cleaning stick for MG 08

rghgdgj.jpg.3548140d46349d3972130e452a5ed0a2.jpg

1528723214_1871-25R_13.245(2).JPG.c5174cad66da0d28352210cd99630972.JPG

1321544302_1871-25R_13.245(1).JPG.e515e5b330772b402c036a26987abcf3.JPG

:poppy:

regards

michel

Edited by battle of loos

4 hours ago, battle of loos said:

rghgdgj.jpg.3548140d46349d3972130e452a5ed0a2.jpg

1528723214_1871-25R_13.245(2).JPG.c5174cad66da0d28352210cd99630972.JPG

1321544302_1871-25R_13.245(1).JPG.e515e5b330772b402c036a26987abcf3.JPG

Cleaned up nicely! The one in the foreground in the top photograph looks to me to be a Fascinenmesser with its broad blade and short length.

Best wishes,

Julian

Hey Battle of Loos

Thanks for the pic"s, You say from Loo's,that was part of the front line,very interesting to see . As you say, an S71 mauser bayonet,used o a lot f Gew 88 rifles in 1914 15, and the one on the right is an actual sine arm,not a bayonet,pre-war but commonly issued to Artillerie troops.The location is a treat for me for Christmas, and beyond,thank You

Dear friends,

I also think that is not a 1871 seitengewehr on the photo, but a pfm 71.

Artillery troops had a variety of bayonets, even obsolete bayonets had in use, so I believe this is a pfm 71 bayonet, suitable for service for an Artillery crew soldier. 

1333214848_GUAB-0010.jpg.e125a1818b80d7fad69de0edbe94a93c.jpg352260649_GUAB-0008.jpg.d36b01163be9e54c4a53a87e8b368ce2.jpg

God's with Us for King and Fatherland Pioniers circa 1914

On to Paris, God's with Us for King and Fatherland - Unidentified Prussians due to heavily censored postcard, Pionieren, armed with Gew 88/05 and PFM 71's ( sawbacked Pionierfaschinemesser 71 bayonet ). Notice the Mauser Charger Clip of 5 rounds of Patrone "S" spitzer rounds.

They wear the M1908 hat.

A proof for the use of pfm 71 during ww1. 

Photo is taken from another site and is not mine (dragoon copyright). 

3670696865_75692fca0f_b.jpg

The picture of ground dug finds i believe is S1871 that was cleaned and presented here the second piece looks like not have a barell ring,so Faschinenmesser is real like Julian mentioned. PFM71 were still used by german units to end of WW1 which is confirmed.

Good evening,

thank you for your explanations.
the objects on the ground are very telling.

Kind regards

Michel