Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers with broken faces

phsvm

Ok....not only is it a very respectful thing to do, but the memorial itself is both evocative and classy.  Hats off to Ellie for such a great idea and for continuing remembrance of those who continued to suffer long after the guns fell silent.  

Well done indeed. Not only is this respectful, but the sheer amount of work entailed to bring the work to such a conclusion, and design a superbly simple yet moving memorial, must have been immense.

Edited by squirrel

As far as I can see, the statue does exactly what was always done - it hides away the disfigurement so that no-one has to be confronted with the ugly reality of war. 

The article looks more like self-publicity to me. 

My interpretation is that the statue is not highlighting the wounds themselves, but rather the emotional trauma that resulted from the injuries.  If people want to see the ugly reality of the actual injuries, then there are clearly plenty of photographs to examine.  To me, the statue provides pause for thought about all those who had to live with both physical and emotional fallout from the War. 

Edited by Buffnut453

Such a great article

On 10/11/2019 at 11:18, Buffnut453 said:

My interpretation is that the statue is not highlighting the wounds themselves, but rather the emotional trauma that resulted from the injuries.  If people want to see the ugly reality of the actual injuries, then there are clearly plenty of photographs to examine.  To me, the statue provides pause for thought about all those who had to live with both physical and emotional fallout from the War. 

agreed 100%, I don,t think it was about self publicity at all

A very nice piece of work and if the young lady is a sculptor as well as a historian one is even more impressed.  I can't help thinking that the commemoration could have been made more apparent by for example, showing a portion of the face to be a mask.