Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1907 Pattern hook quillon bayonet and scabbard

Top notch

I am about to purchase a 1907 pattern, hook quillon bayonet and scabbard, which I have been assured is  all original?

The bayonet all seems good and my question is this....... It is a Sanderson and is stamped with the date 11,10, which I take as November 1910? above this is the King's Crown and ER.

Given that Edward VII died in May 1910, shouldn't it be stamped GR, as George V took the thrown then. Or were blades pre. made and stamped with the monarchs initials and date stamped on assembly, later?

Also the scabbard, I believe, is a No.1 Mk.2 with 3 exposed rivets. Would this be correct to the bayonet?

Any advice would be much appreciated. (I have no pictures yet).

Many thanks, Eddie.

10 hours ago, Top notch said:

The bayonet all seems good and my question is this....... It is a Sanderson and is stamped with the date 11,10, which I take as November 1910? above this is the King's Crown and ER.

Given that Edward VII died in May 1910, shouldn't it be stamped GR, as George V took the thrown then. Or were blades pre. made and stamped with the monarchs initials and date stamped on assembly, later?

We all await photographs! Examples of these ones stamped ER but dated later are known. I reckon JMB might be able to give to links to some, SS - if he is still around - certainly could as I think he has one. 

21 minutes ago, trajan said:

We all await photographs! Examples of these ones stamped ER but dated later are known. I reckon JMB might be able to give to links to some, SS - if he is still around - certainly could as I think he has one. 

Not unusual to find examples of E.R. crowns on either late 10 or even 11 dated pieces, the thread below shows examples.

As regards the scabbards, it would originally have had one with flush rivets but very common to see these swapped for later examples.

Dave.

Dear Trajan,

Thank you so much for your reply and the link to the  previous thread on HQ bayonets.

You have put my mind at rest somewhat, with the 11.10 date stamp and ER crown and initials. Should I be concerned the scabbard may not be original and would it be possible to source a correct one and if so what is the correct scabbard for this date?

I have been looking for a hook quillon for some years and suddenly, like buses, 7 came along all at once. They formed part of a collection of over 400 bayonets, put up for sale by the collectors family. One was a Lithgoe 1915 dated (Gallipoli?), but it was too expensive for me. I have the option on the 1910 at £250.00 plus some costs, which I am satisfied with and seems par for the course? I am not a serious collector of bayonets, but do have a 1914 and 1918 dated P1907, plus a Turkish 1915 HQ bayonet. 

I would love to learn more on the P1907 hook quillon I am buying and about the history and numbers produced between 1908? to 1913? (is that the period production started and finished?).

Any advice or help on the subject would be most appreciated?

Many thanks, Eddie.

Eddie,

I cannot provide any links suggested by Trajan, but I can quote some production numbers for the original P.1907 HQ bayonet; these are copied from British & Commonwealth Bayonets, Skennerton & Richardson.

RSAF, Enfield 

1907-8   1

1908-9   48,530

1909-10  46,878

1910-11   57,587

1911-12.  32,706

1912-13.  30,955

1913-14.  31,961 [ List of Changes of Oct. 29th, 1913 eliminated the HQ from future production.]

By the end of 1911,

Wilkinson.    25,575

Mole.           13,308

Sanderson.  22,497

Chapman.    14,250

After the LoC of 1913, many bayos had the HQ removed when they went in for inspection/repair.

Regards,

JMB

Dear JMB,

Thank you for the response and the most interesting information you provided.

I have been trying, unsuccessfully to date, to upload pictures of my bayonet. 

Dave 66 has kindly been helping me with said pictures and hopefully, I will be able to let you see them?

Many thanks, again, for your help.

Eddie.

Eddie,

below are the pictures, from a brief look it all appears fine to me with nothing that screams out..... and a bonus to have a unit marked piece to the 2nd loyal north lancashire, in my opinion you paid a very reasonable price.

I personally don’t think it matters too much about the later scabbard, but if the correct one came along it wouldn’t hurt.

Could only upload four images I’m afraid, try the others later.

Dave.

103_1431.JPG

103_1430.JPG

103_1428.JPG

103_1427.JPG

Edited by Dave66

2 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Could only upload four images I’m afraid, try the others later.

Dave.

Very nice. 

Thank you Dave for all your help with this topic.

I would love any other members help and advice?

I am very keen to learn as much as possible on these bayonets and their history.

Regards, Eddie.