Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

clearing station arras 1916

djakacg

HI everyone i wonder if anyone knows which clearing station my grandfather T D Gee (199 s/staffs} may have been taken to on 4/4/1916 and whether there mey be any records kept

Regards

david gee

good morning,

this is some information :

PrivateGEE, T D
Service Number 199

Died 04/04/1916

1st/5th Bn.
South Staffordshire Regiment

doc2068780.jpg.070af5e7eac277e09ad72f57475d743b.jpg

the cemetery :

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/52049/gee,-/

cemete10.gif

I find the  :

- 30st CCS ( 28th dec. to 07th Nov. 1917)

- 42nd CCS (feb. 1916 to 31st March 1918)

History Information (CWGC)
Before March, 1916, Aubigny was in the area of the French Tenth Army, and 327 French soldiers were buried in the Extension to the West of what is now Plot IV. From March 1916 to the Armistice, Aubigny was held by Commonwealth troops and burials were made in the Extension until September 1918. The 42nd Casualty Clearing Station buried in it during the whole period, the 30th in 1916 and 1917, the 24th and 1st Canadian in 1917 (during the capture of Vimy Ridge by the Canadian Corps) and the 57th in 1918. The Extension now contains 2,771 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and seven from the Second World War. There are also 227 French burials made prior to March 1916, and 64 German war graves. The Extension was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

regards

michel

Edited by battle of loos

good morning,

this is my sources :

DSC_0052.thumb.JPG.bfe0ba5688bbd4a0bf7248e67511bf4f.JPG

DSC_0053.thumb.JPG.ebf446ffb20a0de00752a1ae4e6387f3.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG.de475cbd1284d70e42468695aa32113c.JPG

regards

michel

Hi chris thank you and also Michel for the infornation it appears we have a cannundrum if as the diary states the 42ccs took over French huts at the end of April is it safe to say that the 30 ccs who as michels info says  supposedly left in Feb were still there ,I am even more confused.

Were the 30ccs french and if so would those records be available to us or would it involve a trip to France

Regards to Chris and Michel

David gee

30 CCS (a British unit) arrived at Aubigny on 14 March 1916 and was operating there when your grandfather died. Again, that information is from their own war diary. The entry for the day is not terribly informative. TNA WO95/253. Crown copyright.

Capture.JPG

The entry for 30CCS is the document that Michel kindly posted is, to put it politely, somewhat misleading. On 28 December 1915 it was at St. Ouen, from which it later moved to Aubigny. It left Aubigny on 13 September 1917.

Edited by Chris_Baker

Hi chris as you say a little sketchy, my Grandfather was injured at neuville st vaast on 2/4/1916 so i am assuming he was one of the other ranks moved on that day,do you know where I may look next ,or is it possible his injuries kept him there because he was buried in Aubigny after his death on the 4th

As he died at one of the CCSs at Aubigny he was not one of those moved to base. So, injured 2/4/16, arrived at Aubigny 2nd or possibly 3rd April and died there on the 4th April.

I've just checked 46 Division ADMS and for 1st week of April it only mentions problems and treatment of foot disorders. The entry for 2/4/1916 covers the problems with the ADMS's own feet!

Entry for 4/4/1916 mentions a visit by DDMS XVII corps who expressed approval with the evacuation arrangements at the rail head and Mont-St-Eloy, the latter being a Main Dressing Station.

There is a map of medical posts etc in the appendices for March 1916 and I can't see anything that suggests things had changed by 2/4/1916, this doesn't cover the CCS's at Aubigny but it does show the front line trenches at Neuville st Vaast, the forward RAPs, collecting stations, reserve bearer posts and methods of evacuation from RAPs, & collecting posts IE by light railways, Decauville railway and foot board walks.

The Rail head appears to be at Bray, if you know whereabouts in Neuville st Vaast the 1/5 South Staffs were holding 2/4/16 you'd have an idea of which RAP he would have gone to then which Collecting Station and the route from there to the Rail Head at Bray to be moved onto Aubigny.

CWGC have 5 men recorded as died 4/4/16 and buried at Aubigny Com. Cemetery Extension.

4354 Baxter also 46th division is buried next to Gee and died at 30CCS 4/4/16 (Soldiers' Effects). Not exactly conclusive but something to go on.

Soldiers effects has 44 men recorded with deaths recorded at 30 CCS from Feb - July 1916, a lot are looking like 46th division men and those I've checked are buried at Aubigny Com. Cemetery Extension.

The earliest burial I can see at Aubigny by 42CCS using soldiers' effects is 29/4/1916.

TEW

I can check the XVII corps diary and the relevant DMS diary later to see if that shows any more but as 42 CCS can be excluded it looks like 30 CCS  was the only one present at the time.

I assume you mean wounded by mine explosion. Do you have access to ancestry? You could then get the map I mentioned.

Diaries for XVII corps and 3rd army indicate that 30 CCS was the only one at Aubigny circa 4/4/16.

TEW