Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal belonging to Frank Henry Buckle, WW1

John Tomlinson

I have a 1914-1915 Star that was awarded to Frank Henry Buckle, born 21 Apr 1897 at Bristol, Gloucestershire, England.  His service number is K26432.  I am happy to reunite this medal with his family.  Frank Henry Buckle appears to have served at a British Naval shore base, Devonport, called the "H. M. S. Vivid II."

IMG_0957.jpeg.e4ba1562158afe96f4d9b8694af72e53.jpeg

Edited by John Tomlinson
Unneeded photo

He's on the 1939 Register for Bristol;, married with children, and one of those is blocked out suggesting there may be descendants today?

Some records show 21/4/1897 and some 21/4/1899 as birth ??

Charlie

PS Free this weekend on FindmyPast and on Ancestry so lots to find !

He is shown on 11 trees on ancestry, one is private & the others public.  The ones that show his children show two children. This is a picture of his wedding in 1921 (apologies for quality). At his wedding on 1st October 1921 he is shown as 22 years old & a mate on a steam tug boat. He died on 12th September 1978 in Bristol.

Frank Henry Buckle.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link to the Ancestry user who uploaded the wedding photo. They've been active in the last week or so. Might be worth messaging them asking if they are a relative\know any relatives. If you don't have an account, let me know and i'll point them in this direction.

15 hours ago, JamesCl said:

Here is the link to the Ancestry user who uploaded the wedding photo. They've been active in the last week or so. Might be worth messaging them asking if they are a relative\know any relatives. If you don't have an account, let me know and i'll point them in this direction.

With John Tomlinsons agreement, last week I messaged the person who up loaded the photo. Their grandfather & Frank were first cousins, but they have no current contact details for Frank's descendents.

By online research & purchase of a will, fairly recent contact details have been found for a probable descendent of Frank.

I will update this thread with any news as it happens.

Yes, we are presently hoping for contact with an identified family member who has been messaged.  Turns out I have 3 medals for F.H. Buckle -- the Pip, Squeak, & Wilfred trio.  Results will be posted.  Thanks for all the help with restoring these medals.

Thanks to all your hard work I have been found, I am the granddaughter of Frank , and have been in direct contact with John. My mother, his daughter is 95 and suffering from dementia, but I wonder if seeing these medals might trigger any memories.

Thanks to one and all.

With gratitude and best wishes

Hilary

I'd just like to report that the WWI medals have, today, been received by Hilary, granddaughter of the recipient, F.H. Buckle.   Thanks to The Great War Forum, and to all who helped in the search for the descendants of Frank Buckle, especially travers61 without whose aid the mission could not have succeeded.  My daughter also helped with a social media posting.  I am so pleased that these medals have gone home.

Dear travers61,

Brilliant work!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Yes, well done - really admirable.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliant result , From my own experience it's a great feeling to receive medals but even better when finding the relatives. 

Well done.

Regards Barry 

Edited by The Inspector