Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Somerset Light Infantry 12-14 June 1915

Aurel Sercu

Can someone help me please with this question: What happened on 12 - 14 June 1915 to the 1st Bn Somerset Light Infantry?

The reason that I ask:

I have taken a specific interest in Pte Frank DINSDALE, 9772, Age 18

Died 13 June 1915

1st SLI

Son of Mr and Mrs Georges Dinsdale, Lancaster

His grave is Talana Farm Cemetery, Boezinge (near Ypres), I. D. 4

What makes his grave uncommon: it is the only (small) collective grave in Talana Farm Cemetery, for 6 men. There are 3 headstones (no space between them), each headsone two names. The other 5 men are 1st SLI too, same date 13-06-1915, except one (11-06-1915)

And so I was wondering what happened so that they could not be given individual graves. Shell impact ? Remains unidentifiable individually ? Maybe something in the WDs? (Though I do not expect their names ro be mentioned ...)

Aurel

Thought you might be interested in this 1917 trench map, which contains names of farms as noted (with map references) in the diary. You may find places which weren't given references - such as the incident on the 15th when a German staff officer at "Fortin 17" was shot by a sniper - this is in square C7 east of the canal...

By moving the blue button on the left you can see the present-day satellite images.

Mike

Thanks, helpjpl, though no names were mentioned of O.R.s, this was almost more than I had expected !

Mike, Thanks. But I know the area extremely well, Being there every moment of the past 20 years, and if not physically, then mentally. I can even say above and below the surface. Even better than my own backyard.  :-) Like ... all the Saturday afternoons I spent digging in Fortin 17.

Aurel

Aurel