Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Harris A S Corps Remounts

Wilky

Hello,

I am trying to find out as much as possible about my Nan's Uncle, Frank Harris.

All I have is a badly faded record of service, that was online, It is a record of service paper, Army form B. 2313 possibly.

He was aged 44 and 9 months so possibly this was 1918, and he served previously in the Army Veterinary Corps it appears, but doesnt say when, and not sure how to check. There is no mention of Army service on the 1901 or 1911 census,

I was just wondering firstly would he have had a Medal Roll, I cant see a service number to check and were people still being conscripted in 1918, aged in their mid forties.

Kind regards,

Wilky.

Is his address 70 Northington, Arlesford, Hants (or similar) married to Agnesinia (ditto)?

If yes, his records are here:

Link

His service number is quoted as R/423075

It doesn't look as though he made it across to a theatre of war before 11/11/1918, so he would not have been entitled to any medals.

No medals, no roll entry.

It seems as though he was classified as B1 when he was called up in July 1918, and sent to Shirehampton (Bristol) Depot. I presume they were 70 Remount Squadron. He was demobbed in summer 1919.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

He hadn't served previously, the line on the record where AVC is entered is the line for his preference as to Corps, in the line above he answers "No" to previous service.

Men up to the age of 45 were covered by the Military Service Act so he was just squeezed in.  

Max

Many thanks for the replies.

That is indeed him, he is buried in the churchyard, in Northington, and if the address hasnt changed, its almost behind his house, but I think house prices for the area may have gone up ever so slightly since then.

When you think of WW1, I think you think of trenches normally, but maybe thats what portrayed in films, and photographs, that are in newspapers and textbooks.  There where so many areas and occupations you could have found yourself in really, such as working in depots or perhaps being sent to Ireland, Wales or Scotland to Barracks or India etc  or as a civilian in munitions etc.

Thanks again.