Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for a wounded soldier

Carnkie

Are digitised source materials available to see online regarding wounded men and if so, on what site might they be found?

I don’t want to subscribe to a site that appears to hold records, only to find the originals are not available.

I have found two records for S Jarritt (or Jarrett) Royal Sussex Regiment and would like to learn a little more.

Many thanks.

if you're in the uk you could visit your local library who may well provide free access to Ancestry or look out for a free access weekend which often occurs around remembrance day.

The other option is to take out the 14 day trial but make sure to cancel before it expires or you will be charged.

Hope this helps

Simon

1 hour ago, Carnkie said:

Are digitised source materials available to see online regarding wounded men and if so, on what site might they be found?

I don’t want to subscribe to a site that appears to hold records, only to find the originals are not available.

I have found two records for S Jarritt (or Jarrett) Royal Sussex Regiment and would like to learn a little more.

Many thanks.

His medal index card is here...Saxon Jarritt.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3598717

Born in Kilburn Middx, 1888...son of a Dentist.

Edited by sadbrewer

I have an Ancestry UK subscription but do they have wounded lists?  Saxon Jarritt was wounded and gassed but I have never seen any source material about this. Just transcriptions.

Have you checked for his service record on ancestry? If it exists it may have a medical section

Simon

19 minutes ago, Carnkie said:

I have an Ancestry UK subscription but do they have wounded lists?  Saxon Jarritt was wounded and gassed but I have never seen any source material about this. Just transcriptions.

He is in Forces War Records, but I don't have a subscription.

I was a little disappointed with them tbh...I found my Grandfather in there with three records showing...spent the cash and found out that one record I had got elsewhere and the other two were not relevant.

Edit...I can't find anything so far in relation to his woundings, but

he was a theatre stage manager in 1912 and a bus conductor in 1924 according to The British Newspaper Archive which has quite a few articles on both him and his son.

Edited by sadbrewer

He re-enlisted for duty at the start of ww2 so his records would not be available unless I apply for then.

Admission records to some CCS's, Field Ambulances, Ambulance Trains and Hospitals in France & Flanders have been digitised and added to FindMyPast. They also have a few for Hospitals in the UK. Obviously it's pot luck whether the ones you want are there or not. In a small project last year of approximately 1,000 men carried by an Ambulance train over a four week period in a relatively quiet part of the war I found a significant number of names mis-spelt and service numbers jumbled or ones used that only appeared in service records, not on the MiCs, so you may have to apply a bit of lateral thinking in order to find anything.

If he was wounded, (as opposed to injured or sick), then he should turn up in a Casualty Report. These are available at a number of sources, but I've noticed members here stating recently they are now freely available on the National Library of Scotland site. It would be a bit long-winded but if you could track him down, then men from the same regiment on the same list are likely to have been wounded at roughly the same time - and they may have surviving records that could help pin the date down.

The other source might be local newspapers. Online UK newspaper archives are available with premium subscriptions or bolt-ons with the major genealogy sites, or you can subscribe to the British Newspaper Archives direct. However if you are in the UK your Local Library will normally offer either Ancestry or FindMyPast, (sometimes both) and the British Newspaper Archive free while you are on site. I'd certainly suggest try the British Newspaper Archive out first before subscribing - particularly as what the genealogy sites have on offer is usually just the BNA rebadged. The software used to covert the image to text is, shall we say, "quirky" and at times makes that used on the London Gazette site look "good" :)

Good luck with your search,

Peter

Have to second PRC's comments about the poor original recording in some of the MH106 A/D books. I would add incorrect regiments, divisions and I wouldn't be surprised if nature of wound can be wrong.

Some of these books seem to have been created after the event, possibly from a rough book or notes. Sometimes details written in pencil then overwritten in pen.

I've also seen books that FMP have messed up by indexing a name to the number in the row below.

I think Forces War Records have transcribed more than FMP although the latter offers the originals. I would try your library for free access to FMP.

In general when people get a hit for a Casualty list or wounded list they expect every detail whereas all you get is name, rank & number.

TEW