Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier's postcard from Verdun to USA

ADM

Hello!

I'm trying to decipher some of the language used in a postcard I have from 1919. If anyone would be kind enough to explain the meaning, I would be most grateful!

The postcard is marked as "Soldiers mail", and the faded postmark looks like it was stamped by the postoffice in April 1919. I'm quite sure it says APR for April (instead of AVR for Avril), so I'm guessing it was posted through the military and not the French post.

The short letter on the back is written to a woman in Altoona, PA. The author talks about going out on a "Y" truck excursion over no man's land in Verdun.

So question #1 - What is a Y truck?

The author also mentions an underground city there.

Question #2 - Would the underground city be the tunnels under Fort Vaux or some other place?

He also says the city was deserted except for a "Y" and a "K.C." He suggests the "Y" building was patched up so it could be used.

Question #3 - What is a "Y" and "K.C."? If they're buildings, what was their function?

At the bottom of the letter, beside the soldier's name, is A.C. 351. I wonder if this is his unit?

Question #4 - What does A.C. 351 stand for?

My appreciate to anyone that can answer one or more of the above questions!

Edited by ADM

Indeed…

as to the underground city, Verdun has an underground citadel … as in a number of galeries built in the 1550s and then reinforced by Vauban, under the citadel of Verdun. We're talking about 5-7, km of galeries Under the city, that served in the war as CP, depot, telegraphist central. during the battle of 1916, there were at times over 10.000 soldiers in the galeries.

It is there that the French Unknown soldier was chosen in 1920.

the galleries can be visited today. Did it in 2013, but I found the visit somewhat artificial… in a train, with little light effects and such… not really a great visit, but Worth doing once.

M.

Just an idea, but wouldn't "Y" refer to the YMCA?

would make sense, if it was a post-war battlefield excursion…  there were a number of them…

Just checked the website… the galeries in Verdun have been modernised from 2016 on, now using virtual reality goggles instead of the zombie-like statues they had.

A good excuse to go back…

M.

6 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Indeed…

as to the underground city, Verdun has an underground citadel … as in a number of galeries built in the 1550s and then reinforced by Vauban, under the citadel of Verdun. We're talking about 5-7, km of galeries Under the city, that served in the war as CP, depot, telegraphist central. during the battle of 1916, there were at times over 10.000 soldiers in the galeries.

It is there that the French Unknown soldier was chosen in 1920.

the galleries can be visited today. Did it in 2013, but I found the visit somewhat artificial… in a train, with little light effects and such… not really a great visit, but Worth doing once.

M.

Very interesting. I'll do some research on the citadel.

6 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Just an idea, but wouldn't "Y" refer to the YMCA?

Good thought. It makes sense that the YMCA would come in, patch a building up and make the best of it.

But if Y is YMCA, then what would K.C. be? If it was R.C., maybe a Red Cross building. But K.C??

The sender is William Curtis Piper.

1.  In 1910 'Curtis' was living  with his father Otho Piper, mother and siblings, in Altoona Ward 5, Blair, Pennsylvania.

2.  2137130  Private 1st Class (Med. Dept.) William C Piper, (father Otho), of Ambulance Company 351, 313 Sanitary Train, 88th Division, left New York 17 August 1918 aboard the Vedic.

3.  He returned to the US from St Nazaire aboard the Koniningen Der Nederlanden in May 1919. 

Courtesy of ancestry:

Piper.jpg.5d8f7b6968aacc05d4da427ac55ea669.jpg

JP

Edited by helpjpl

59 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

The sender is William Curtis Piper.

1.  In 1910 'Curtis' was living  with his father Otho Piper, mother and siblings, in Altoona Ward 5, Blair, Pennsylvania.

2.  2137130  Private 1st Class (Med. Dept.) William C Piper, (father Otho), of Ambulance Company 351, 313 Sanitary Train, 88th Division, left New York 17 August 1918 aboard the Vedic.

3.  He returned to the US from St Nazaire aboard the Koniningen Der Nederlanden in May 1919. 

Courtesy of ancestry:

Piper.jpg.5d8f7b6968aacc05d4da427ac55ea669.jpg

JP

Wow! Thank you for researching that for me! (Is this from Ancestry or a different website?)

A.C. 351 is Ambulance Company 351 then. Another question answered! This is getting exciting.

If I wanted to learn more about the 351st, where would I start?

3 minutes ago, ADM said:

Wow! Thank you for researching that for me! (Is this from Ancestry or a different website?)

The information is from the ancestry genealogy website.

And here, courtesy of ancestry, is William Curtis Piper's US WW1 Draft Registration Card - handwritten 1917:

Piper.jpg.11ac700a23af63772e1846d0b4833d5b.jpg

JP

Yes Y= YMCA, and KC is almost certainly Knights of Columbus

I have seen these abbreviations multiple times in US letters home

AC 351 - may well be Ambulance Company 351

Ambulance company 351 (part of the 313th Sanitary Train, 88th Infantry Division)  was established at the Convalescent camp Bevilliers shortly after Sept 20 1918.

I might be able to dig up more for you but my sources are mostly inaccessible at the moment.

Chris

Edit - sorry just noticed Helpjpl had already identified the unit! apologies for the repetition.

Edited by 4thGordons

3 hours ago, helpjpl said:

Evelyn Gertrude Anspach was born in Pennsylvania on 21 November 1897. She lived much of her life at 1306 - 18 Avenue, Altoona, and never married. She died 15 May 1980 and is buried in the same cemetery as Curtis.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/14342224

JP

And here I thought she was Curtis' love interest. Maybe she was a classmate or family friend. Or maybe it was a romance that never panned out.

Thanks to everyone that's helped. I'm grateful for the groundwork that you've laid for me. I'll do a little more digging on my own.

• 4 years later...

This is Curtis Piper.  This photo was in Evelyn Anspach's High School memories journal.  She was "Aunt" Evelyn to me.  She mentions Curtis throughout the journal, but there's no indication of their status.  Curtis picked her up to go to dances and parties fairly often, and was on her dance card more than once. 20231116_205845.jpg.07dbf60b5aec8d718146e0619cd458d3.jpg