Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Jo K

Pals at Suvla Bay Pte L Keating Look up Please

Jo K

I am trying to do some more research into my Grandfather Pte Lawrence Keating 18658 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers (plus Labour Corps 376503).  I came across a book called Pals at Suvla Bay and have found a copy on Amazon, but at £25, a little expensive if it is not what I am looking for.  Family legend has it that he was injured at Gallipoli and was on a beach for 3 days before being rescued.  I just about remember him as a tiny child - he died in the late 60s. 

I have found a newspaper article which says:

The following 38 members of the staffs of the [Irish] Independent Newspapers, Ltd., have joined the forces since the outbreak of the present war to date. Ten of the have paid the supreme sacrifice, while several of them have been wounded.;-
L Keating (R.D.F.)-Severely wounded.

If someone has a copy, would you be so kind as to have a quick check to see if he is mentioned.  I can then buy the book knowing it is something useful.

Many thanks

Jo

Edited by Jo K

Mark1959

Medical Record 149th Field Ambulance 21/8/15 “Bullet Wound, Right Thigh”. 7th RDF.  Evacuated “to trawler for hospital ship”. 149 was aka 2nd FA Royal Naval Division

30/9/15 - appears on War Office wounded list. One assumes refers to same wounding.

6 and 7 RDF landed at Suvla Bay Gallipoli 7/8/15.

War Diary shows battalion heavily engaged 16-18 Aug. Heavy casualties. Took a few casualties late 21/8/15. Diary is brief but worth reading.

struggling to find the actual article but there is ref for him in the Sligo Champion 2/10/15 mentioning him as ex Irish Independent and in Sussex recovering from wounds.

Edited by Mark1959

museumtom

I also see you are researching Edna Lock would she have been known as Mrs May Lock with the British red Cross Society?

Mark1959

Although Jo K has looked at the responses she has not bothered to reply. Odd.

museumtom

Hello Mark. I was waiting for a reply before I posted a photo for him. It's his loss.

Jo K

Hi All

Sorry.  Not been on here for a couple of days.  I had a response from Little Bob posting the information about the bullet wound which pinged to my email, so responded to that, but your kind replies did not show up.  So although it looks as if I had seen these responses, I haven't.  Little Bob must have DM'd me. Sincerest apologies.  I do not want to upset anyone as you are all a fantastic mine of information.

Mark 1959 - thank you.  I wondered what B-W meant.  I have a small article from the Irish Independent about him, but will see if I can find the Sligo article.  He was at Greylingwell War Hospital.

Museum Tom - I don't think that is Edna.  There is no May in the family.  I am hoping that in time, more records appear and I can find out just what my Grandmother was doing during the war.

Thank you all for your time.

Jo (She not a he!!)