Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hi , my first time on this forum. It is a long shot (no pun intended) but I was wondering if someone is able to identify the person standing in front of the right hand side pillar in the attached photograph that was taken at Baron von Richthoffen's burial. If not, would someone be able to determine the rank and/or service by the uniform. It looks a lot like Major-General George Barber who had just been appointed Deputy Director Medical Services (Australian Corps). Barber conducted one of the post-mortems on von Richthoffen.

thank you

Simon

Burial of Richthoffen.jpg

Dear Simon,

An interesting photograph, indeed: not seen before!

I hope you receive confirmation of the identity of the sleek-looking officer mentioned, who stood at the gate.

It would also be of interest to identify the six AIF officers who strenuously lowered the late Freiherr's coffin into the earth...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Sorry, I cant help with the identity of the officer, but in case you didn't know this photo was taken at Bertangles church yard which is behind the chateau that served as the Australian HQ in 1918. James.

Thanks for posting the videos. Looks like it was a very fitting and poignant ceremony.

m;

Dear All,

Yes, I agree.

The majority of the Pall-Bearers were Australian pilots, incidentally.

Bare-headed until the coffin was lowered into the grave, they were obliged to hold their caps with one hand...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

A warning to anyone who thinks that they'd like to see the grave - it no longer exists, as the Baron was exhumed and reburied just after the end of the war.

It's now a totally bare and empty plot, as it has never been re-used. He's now buried (after several other short stays elsewhere) in the family estate in Germany.

23 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

A warning to anyone who thinks that they'd like to see the grave - it no longer exists, as the Baron was exhumed and reburied just after the end of the war.

It's now a totally bare and empty plot, as it has never been re-used. He's now buried (after several other short stays elsewhere) in the family estate in Germany.

He is not buried in the family estate, but in the family vault in the cemetery of Wiesbaden (after having been buried in Bertangles, Fricourt and Berlin). There are information panels in Bertangles and Fricourt.

3 hours ago, AOK4 said:

He is not buried in the family estate, but in the family vault in the cemetery of Wiesbaden (after having been buried in Bertangles, Fricourt and Berlin). There are information panels in Bertangles and Fricourt.

Ah, my mistake, thanks. We looked at the exploits and death of the Barron during the Leger "War in the Air" tour two weeks ago (it's very good, incidentally) and I obviously misheard what was said about where the family vault is.