Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Kimberley John Lindsay

Indian Army List April 1921 E. C. Vernon-Browne

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWF aficionados,

I am unable to access the April 1921 Indian Army List, to check the entries for Lieut/Capt E. C. Vernon-Browne.

His IGS clasp Waziristan 1919-21 is impressed CAPT. E. C. VERNON-BROWNE, 16 RAJPUTS - and, one suspects, that he appeared thus in the April 1921 IA List.

Annoyingly, he was indexed in the April 1920 IA List - but no page number; ditto January 1920 IA List!

In the July 1919 IA List E. C. Vernon-Browne was shown attached 82 Punjabis.

In the April 1919 IA List, he was shown attached 87 Punjabis...

Perhaps someone would care to explain this to-ing and fro-ing. It almost goes without saying, that I require (Reward offered!) an Image of Ernest Charles Vernon-Browne (1892-1974).

This particular request would suffice with an Indian Army List entry (April 1921, for example), which showed him attached 16 Rajputs… please!

Kindest regards,

Kim.1620746379_MICVernon-Browne.jpg.be235e07c4a10843c5f9a6a02a661404.jpg

Maureene

Kim, the April 1921 Indian Army List is available online on FamilySearch (free website)

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1931667

If you aren't registered with FamilySearch, when you click through the links you will come to a page which gives the options "Sign In" or "Create a Free Account", select the latter.

Cheers

Maureen

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Maureen,

Yes, thanks. I had in fact seen that, but am wary of the Spam mail which such sites generate!

Perhaps I should merely have asked:-

Aficionados! Please beam the IA List showing Lieut/Capt E. C. Vernon-Browne attd 16 Rajputs, ca. 1921...

Kindest regards,

kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Maureene

I am registered with FamilySearch,  and have been since the website was introduced in 2010,  and have never had any spam mail as a result of this registration.

Cheers

Maureen

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Maureen,

Yes, I appreciate that; indeed, I am mindful of your kindness to me - with both Naval and Military questions - ever since I joined the GWF years ago!

Perhaps a final favour: kindly beam the indexed pages for E. C. Vernon-Browne from the April 1921 Indian Army List on FamSearch for me to this forum, please?

Kindest regards from this Aussie (in Germany),

Kim.

rflory

Kim:  I do not have the April 1921 list but he is not in the July 1921 list.

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Dick,

Thanks for looking at your July 1921 IA List for the elusive (aren't they all?) E. C. Vernon-Browne!

I will have to mobilize either my British Library Researcher or my TNA Researcher, to look at some of the "in-between" IA Lists, in the hope of actually finding Vernon-Browne shown, attached to 16th Rajputs.

Having had such consistent good fortune (one makes one's own Luck) in finding Portraits of the medal recipients in my Collection, I am slowly resigning myself to having a "No Faces" section...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Matthew B.

Hi Kim,

By chance I have access to a copy of the April 1921 IAL and in that he is listed as IARO attached 16th Rajputs

Regards,

Matthew

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Matthew,

Manna from heaven, as it were...!

Could you kindly beam me a scan of that page, please?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

It seems that this officer was Indexed initially as:-

1) Lt. E. C. Vernon-Browne (attd 82 Punjabis Jul 1919 IA List), but at around 1921 was indexed as

2) Lt. E. C. V. Browne (attd 16 Rajputs, The Lucknow Regiment, Jul 1921 IA List)!

My apologies to Matthew, Dick, and Maureen, for making such a fuss. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.