Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Czech Service M95 Bayonets

msdt

I went through my little collection of M95's at the weekend, and in addition to the MO produced one I have recently posted found I had another 3 (2 for sure) Czech M95's.  

The first one is an NCO version Austrian made by OEWG at Steyr. Any Austrian military marks have been removed if they were present. The pommel side has a number, and the pommel end is regimentally marked. The scabbard has what some people have called the 'yin and yang' symbol which I believe shows Czech production by Zbrojovka Praga (i.e. the mark is a stylised ZP), along with a Czech lion and date of 1923.

Pics:

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3024.JPG

Bayonet number 2 is the reverse of the first one, this time the bayonet is by Zbrojovka Praga (are they all newly made or did I read somewhere that this company also refurbished Austro-Hungarian ones?). A lion and 23 on the pommel side, and regimentally marked again. The scabbard is an OEWG one with the Austrian eagle military acceptance stamp.

IMG_3000.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

Not totally sure if this is a Czech service one. It is a standard Hungarian M95 made by the Hungarian arsenal of 'F.G.GY.' = Fegyver és Gépgyár, it has the Hungarian military stamp on the other side of the ricasso, the coat of arms. But there is an over-stamped lion in a shield - is this Czech?

Can't see a maker's mark on the scabbard, but by coincidence it is stamped 'S' Lion '10' for Czech Military District number 10, which is Banska Bystrica (now in Slovakia). This is the same as the MO bayonet I posted before. It has been re-gripped at some point by the look of the wood.

Cheers,

Tony

IMG_3025.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3029.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

IMG_3035.JPG

Nice czechoslovak used bayonets, in good condition, i would say, the scabbards are switched in time between nr1 and nr2, the first one is normal austrian M95 delivered in early 1920 to CS , as no imperial proofs there, the NCO configuration is too not typical, 36P means a 36 Infantry Regiment, scabbard is of Zbrojovka Praga 1923 production. The serial on pommel is not typical for CS using.

-Nr.2 is of CS production of Zbrojovka Brno, unit on pommel is mostly Medical Company nr.9, most real located in west Slovakia, the scabbard should be the ZP lion 23 mounted on the first piece.

-Nr. 3 i assume is not a CS piece, mostly a hungarian, as both version of acceptance is there, question is too the B 738 serial on guard, which is not typical for rifle bayonet,possible the guard was reworked,  could be post refurbish as the right grip looks like replaced. the scabbard was CS used and mostly by S lion 6 as there is no 10 visible. Or its other numeral the piece was repaired with hard brass soldering on hook.

Edited by AndyBsk

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the input. All the bayonets have been obtained at different times and the scabbards are how they came! Re the third bayonet, is that lion in a shield a post WW1 Hungarian stamp then?

Cheers,

Tony

The parts were switched in time, normally ZP marked bayonets were delivered with corect scabbard,so in this case  lion 23 proofed,should be joined together.on nr.3 is not lion in shield but hungarian crest in 2 variations.

Thanks Andy, so Hungarian then for number 3.

Here's another standard Hungarian bayonet, but how about the scabbard?

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG

The last pictured piece is too refurbishment, the crossguard was replaced as visible on rivets, and the 4 digit serial is typical for Bulgarians in this case not heavily reworked,I assume the marking is ugrian also pre 1918, with crowned crest, the scabbard was mixed here , is mostly german origin of Ernst Busch Solingen (gothic letter on ball finial), and was painted black. Majority of the german produced M95 ended in Bulgaria.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info. So this one looks to have been originally in Hungarian service and then went to Bulgaria. Interesting information regarding the scabbard, I did suspect it was German made, but your detail on German production ending up in Bulgaria certainly supports the history of this particular bayonet.

Cheers,

Tony

• 2 years later...

Thanks Ulhan. I knew that it's austrohungarian made and it has a czech scabbard. I don't know instead if it was refurbished like changed wood, new rivets and crossguard, ring pommel.. 

Any stamps on the bayonet pommel?, as it looks no connection on the bayonet to CSR, its a late war production of Steyr for rifle and NCOs, the scabbard is nice probably origin period paint, made in Zbrojovka Praga, and proofed to Divisional Depot nr.4 (Hradec Králové)of North Czechia and 23 for 1923 production. 

Edited by AndyBsk

No, it's a pure Autro-Hungarian non-commissioned officer, there are three models for the steyer

Bayonet Czechoslovakian Mauser vz33

vz33_f18 baionnette tcheque vz33.jpg

I dont known what You mean about the austrian bayonet, its Steyr production but could be used by CS army post WW1 wout any additional proofs and only with new stamps on pommel, that i asked for looking by the owner.

Personally i dont known about 3 modell of Steyr? 

The pictured Vz33 are nice, anyway they had nothing to do with M95 Mannlichers as is called this thread as these were used with CS Carbine Vz33 of Mauser system.

Edited by AndyBsk

Austrian Bayonet Austria Hungary 1886, 1888 or 1890 modified cruise (socket removed)

FUSIL STEYR MANNLICHER M95

R (6) steyer'malinncher.jpg

There is 4 number of M95 bayonets also for rifle, Stutzen and both for NCOs, also 4 types, we dont speak here about older modells as are M86, M88, M90 and ersatz bayonets. The presented carbine is already a bulgarian M95/34 probably for new spitz ammo.

No it's a pure steyr AustroHongarian

Rare carabine M95 Bulgare

Le modèle M95 du contrat Bulgare a été produit uniquement à 2074 exemplaires en version M95 court

Marquage sur le coté gauche Budapest 1914

Bulgaria bought the M95 subcontract

For example, the Germans had produced the Mauser 98A the Poles copied it under the name RADOM

Photo 1 ""98 A""

photo2""RADOM""

R (6) 98 A.jpg

dsc0037wy radom.jpg

Hard to believe that this would be correct M95 Bulgarian carbine, serialing of buttstock was  made on left side, the blueing is too dark. so personally i believe this is a refurbishment. Secondly the lower ring has removed the lower sling swivel. Thirdly there is 4969 on buttstock?? how it could be part of 2074 carbines?

On other point 2074 carbines M95 were delivered by Steyr as this denoting Heino Hintermeier in his book, this pictured piece when a Budapest 1914 piece is not from 2074 bunch of Carbines to Kingdom of Bulgaria. Even more as carbines didnt have in normal delivery bayonet adapter.

What with this above has the german Kar98AZ with polish copy by Radom? i dont understand? Radom is a town where is Armory - Fabryka Broni

Bulgarians didnt produced any of their Mannlicher rifles or carbines.

Edited by AndyBsk