Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Haswell KIA

emam

Hi,

Robert Haswell, was KIA on 5th April 1918. He was serving in the 9th Battalion,  West Yorkshire Regiment: Private 202874. His medal card also has the number of 5980 on it. He was billeted in Gainsborough, Yorkshire in 1915. According to his prayer book he enlisted on 8th April 1915, as 5670, Private Haswell, 7th Battalion, Durham L.I. He then transferred to 1/5 West Yorkshire, 9th West Yorkshire Regiment. Under his enlistment date he has a penny stamp with the date 29 Aug '17? above and 2nd September written below the stamp. has anyone come across this before and would know what it means.

He is the only Robert Haswell from his home village that I have found. However I have just been given two different photos from separate people with Robert's name on them and in both he is wearing the Cycling Corps badge. I can't find any information to say that he was in the cycling corps. On one of the photos he is with another man from the village (both cycling corps). He has a number of 57808 Kings Liverpool Regiment.

Is there anyway I can find out about any service in the cycling corps.

Thanks

emam

Hopefully I haven't submitted this twice.

Did you know that the KLR man is Frederick Lowerson, also born in Murton, Co. Durham? There's his medical record in Ancestry Pension records, but I can't see any reference to the Cycling Corps.

Mike

On 05/11/2019 at 10:59, emam said:

Under his enlistment date he has a penny stamp with the date 29 Aug '17? above and 2nd September written below the stamp. has anyone come across this before and would know what it means.

I seem to recall the use of a postage stamp was used on legal documents to authenticate/give status [commonly with a impinging ink stamp or signature or similar] - I'm sure someone will be able to better explain

Edit: a web search suggests a sign of a receipt and/or of stamp duty tax paid = ??? for me on a military document.

Thanks to the Western Front Association / Ancestry you may be interested to look at his Pension Ledger and Pension Card

PL  https://www.westernfrontassociation.com:2061/image/645365806?terms=1019,202874,haswell 

Sister: Miss Ellen Haswell, DoB 1908, 20 Lancaster St. Murton

PC  https://www.westernfrontassociation.com:2061/image/668861501?terms=1019,202874,haswell 

Mother: Mrs Eliz Ellen Haswell [struck through in red ink Deceased 1.2.21]  Sister: Miss Ellen Haswell - Address as above

Edited by Matlock1418
addit