Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Ethan

Lost medals and history - 2LT W H Prigge (Prigg)

Ethan

Hello,

My name is Ethan. For reference, I am 17 years old, and I've lived in London for most of my life despite being a Canadian-born American. I have been doing research about my 2nd Great Grandfather, who was away fighting during the 1st world war, being absent in the US from late 1913 to 1919-1920, before he returned to his home in Ohio (Now Kentucky). Despite being from Ohio, he spoke with a strong English accent, making my Grandmother (his granddaughter) think he wasn't originally from the US. However, it turns out he come from a long line of German and Anglo-Americans stretching back to the Revolutionary war.

This made me think he could have been stationed in the UK at some point. However, US Army records don't show him being mustered at any point. On the contrary, I found an entry record for him to the UK, and then a subsequently timed enlistment into the British Army, with the surname spelling changed from Prigge to Prigg (he did do this in the US as well), and a UK birthplace being listed. The profile matched him perfectly (apart from the birthplace), and I did some further reading, in which I read that a considerable number of Americans joined foreign militaries to fight in the Great War.

I have medal cards showing him entering as a Private (rising to "A. Cpl", which I assume means Acting Corporal) in the Royal Sussex Regiment, and discharging in 1919 as a 2nd Lieutenant of the Sussex Yeomanry. The medal cards list him receiving the war medal, the victory medal, and the 1914-1915 star for his participation in Gallipoli.

I have two questions:

1. How do I get more information about him, preferably online? I've found dealing with the national Archives to be quite troublesome

2. How could I recover the medals? The Gov.uk website says they won't replace WW1 medals unless they were "returned", which I assume means not claimed by a next of kin and therefore kept by the War Ministry (he survived the war, but lived in relative poverty due to the Great Depression when he returned to the US. he never passed medals on to his next of kin but did speak of wartime experiences)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Ethan

stiletto_33853

Ethan,

He has a Service Record at The National Archives, however you would not be able to download this online, it would require a visit to see it

Andy.

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 11.47.34.png

charlie962

Ethan, welcome to the Forum;

@mandy hall seems to have a good handle on Sussex Regt archives so I am drawing her attention to this thread.

charlie

edit- Mandy, I now think the Sussex man is not Ethan's ancestor.

Edited by charlie962

charlie962

2511 Pte W H Prigg of the Sussex Yeomanry 'D', was admitted to Hospital Ship Assaye on 2/1/16 with paratyphoid. His listing in the register shows him aged 25 with 9 mths in the Army of which 3 mths were overseas. Religion Church of England.

His Medal Index Card that you've seen already, noted he went to Theatre 2B Balkans on 7/10/15 with Sussex Yeomanry.so that ties up nicely.

I note there seems to be some confusion with another Medal Card for a 2/Lt W H Prigg of the Devons in 1915. Do you know what that is about ? It seems to be same man? This is an extract from London Gazette 1918.

1775720808_GWFPriggWHLG1918.JPG.415a3b5a2a6f7975adbb9c32e2730928.JPG

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

charlie962

Ethan, have you checked out the addresses on the back of the Medal Index Cards ?

Ancestry have this for his Sussex card:

1737316286_GWFPriggWHMICaddress.JPG.1abe1c742636e08945e25bcac07bacc8.JPG

The Devons card has a Barracks adress in Ireland ?

Note that Prigg seems to have applied for his medals looking at the notes on the back of the Sussex MIC.

Charlie

charlie962

There's a William Henry Prigg born 24/6/1890 in Plymouth to Henry Victor and Emma Prigg. Could he be the man to whom the above MICs relate and not your Ancestor ?

Indeed the Millers Rd address on the Electoral Rolls shows William Henry Prigg and his wife Constance, whom the 1939 Register for Portsmouth confirms (via same birthdate) to be the Plymouth man.

So I do think you might be on a false trail ?

Charlie

charlie962

Ethan,

If you agree with my findings above then you need to start again. If you think he served in the British Army then could you provide us with a bit more family info for him, please.

eg  When was he born, names of his parents incl mother's maiden name, possible relatives in UK that he could have stayed with  etc......

Charlie

The Inspector

Hi Ethan,

As Charlie has posted, we need more info, but here is my hunch..... 

Did he have a mole under his right eye? and:-

Was his d of b 9th August, 1881.New Richmond, Ohio., died 22.12.1976. a builder, married 13th June, 1906 wife Maria Elysabeth Magdelina Recker, 1942 lived 1231 Fifth Ave, Dayton, Kentucky? Had 6 children?  If this is him then he was registered "Draft Registration Card, WW1" but doesn't look like he served. Registered 12th Sept. 1918. same day as his younger brother George Frank Prigge. b.1884.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

charlie962

barry, I saw that card but it implies he was in US 1918 when Ethan said he was perhaps in UK ?

charlie

The Inspector

Hi Charlie,

As we know the stories are sometimes not what happened !  He's the only one I can find, have to wait for Ethan's reply re relatives.

Barry