Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4310 Thomas Hindley Loyal North Lancs

8055Bell

Thomas was killed in action on 30/7/1916 and has a special memorial as believed to be buried at Delville Wood Cemetery.

Records show Thomas as 8/LNL, yet they were in the line east of Thiepval at the time.  His burial at Delville Wood (not a concentration) seems strange.

A draft of LNL were attached to 17/Manch in mid July and the Bttn then suffered many losses at Guillemont on 30 July and some are buried at Delville Wood.
Thomas' Service Record makes no mention of attachement away from 8/LNL.

Any thoughts from the Forum?

Thanks

Tim

34 minutes ago, 8055Bell said:

believed to be buried at Delville Wood Cemetery

That is where CWGC have him

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/549519/hindley,-/

although one form as below, I also note images note him as "Pte" and the other book ref. as "Serjeant" as does the main CWGC.

image.png.db052570c40980a0d0a91d0a49150d9a.png

image.png.768df34d51392980297a4c7d8ca48e03.png

Edited by jonbem

Thanks Jonbem,

This is the heart of query.  How can he have been buried at Delville Wood, when the Bttn was 5 miles away.  This was a concentration cemetery, but there is no such record for Thomas.

T

and was he a Private or a serjeant?

i guess a Serjeant, as noted on MIC, Rioll & Soldiers Effects (as Kindley)

Service Record shows Sgt too.  There are quite a few inconsistencies on the the grave registration docs.  CWGC generally get it right in the end.

He must have been concentrated into there as this was German-held territory on the day he was killed. Not all concentration documents have survived. 

3 minutes ago, 8055Bell said:

Ken,

Certainly a possibility, although one would be surprised if a concentration burial was lost?

Tim

That depends when he was concentrated. A piece of paper going missing is all that it takes. Quite common, I suppose. 

Please see Bolton Remembers entry.

This confirms Thomas was attached to Manchester Regiment - sadly not conforming which Bttn

None of the other LNL draft had been posted from 8th LNL.  Hence I suspect Thomas was not attached to 17th Bttn - more likely 18th Bttn, which suffered most casualties in the action.

Edited by 8055Bell

Tim

I'll be going to Bolton History Centre on Tuesday and will check the local papers.

Brian

I checked all those papers mentioned in the link to Bolton Remenbers but it does not identify which Bn of the Manchesters.

The reference to the Bolton Journal 03/08/1917 should read the Farnworth Journal. In date order the FJ records:

08/09/1916 A Farnworth Sergeant missing - photo and brief biography - mentions being wounded earlier in 1916 and on recovery transferring to the Manchester Regt (No Bn).

06/10/1916 (not 16/10) Mentioned in Missing - Hindley, Sgt Tom - Manchester Regt - Darley Grove, Farnworth.

05/01/1917 Only two pages of the FJ but no trace of any mention (nor any in the Bolton Journal).

01/06/1917 Farnworth Sergeant's death - photo and brief biography - confirmation of death on 30/07/1916.

06/07/1917 Farnworth ROH - Hindley, Sgt Tom - Loyal North Lancs Regt - Darley Grove, Farnworth.

03/08/1917 Family Notice. 

Brian

003 (2).JPG

005 (2).JPG

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

Brian, 

Thank you so much. This is wonderful service!

I’ll try to establish if 8/LNL men were attached to 16 or 18 Manchesters.

Isn’t it wonderful to see the faces of these men.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by 8055Bell

No problem, I'm in Bolton library on a regular basis. I've only had time for a read of the WD of 90 Infantry Brigade (30 Div) and was going to look at the Div HQ and others today. The Brigade WD records casualties, including missing, from 16, 17 and 18 Bns Manchesters.

Brian

He is named in the Times OCL 18/09/1916 (Second List) under Missing - N Lancs R. He is the only one named. He is also shown in the Bolton Evening News 20/09/1016 also as LNL and again on his own (but of course it only names men whose NOK lived in Bolton).

Brian

times.JPG

ben.JPG

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the extra articles.  I'll try and find some time to look further this w/e. It's good the family knew Thomas was with the Manchesters, hopefully they ultimately found a more complete picture.

I've noticed that draft men, attached in July and wounded at Guillemont, were transferred on 1/9/1916 - even if they had been hospitilised since August.  It seems this virtual transfer didn't happen to men who were missing.
I've found SDGW records for men in the 43-44000 number sequence formerly serving with numerous Regiments before 16th & 18th Bttns. None identified from LNL.  Not confirmed, but stong indication that Thomas was one of @ 25 men attached to 17th Bttn. Medal records don't usually help, as the Rolls would usually show 17th Manch R for these drafts - presumably because that was solely who they served with at the front, even with a different cap badge.

Tim
ps Please may I use you images on my blog and Manchesters forum? Always acknowlege sources.

Edited by 8055Bell

On 16/11/2019 at 07:38, 8055Bell said:

ps Please may I use you images on my blog and Manchesters forum? Always acknowlege sources.

Certainly. I don't think there is an issue with Bolton Library History Centre and the Times Digital Archive is on Lancashire Libraries.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
typo