Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers

Dombyrne

So, according to what I can see on CWGC website 2RMF suffered 87 deaths from the period 20 March 1918 to 30 March 1918. Does that sound right to any experts out there? Sounds a bit low to me? Help? 

• Dombyrne changed the title to 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers

Soldiers Died in the Great War lists 69 KIA and 12 DOW during the period you post.

The unit War Diary (WO95/1975/4) was lost covering the period 1-20 March, and the latter period is written on plain paper similar to a notebook pages and has a great deal to read. The writer seems unlikely to have been aware of all actions and has no casualty detail for ORs other than on 22 March when he mentions trench strength at 290 and down from the 629 of recent days.

You may need to see if there is a Regimental History which can explain the fate of the hundreds, there is ref to some officers being captured and there may be also many ORs with the same outcome.

10 hours ago, sotonmate said:

Soldiers Died in the Great War lists 69 KIA and 12 DOW during the period you post.

The unit War Diary (WO95/1975/4) was lost covering the period 1-20 March, and the latter period is written on plain paper similar to a notebook pages and has a great deal to read. The writer seems unlikely to have been aware of all actions and has no casualty detail for ORs other than on 22 March when he mentions trench strength at 290 and down from the 629 of recent days.

You may need to see if there is a Regimental History which can explain the fate of the hundreds, there is ref to some officers being captured and there may be also many ORs with the same outcome.

Thanks. I'm trying to pin down the specific activity on the 22nd March, the day my Great Uncle was KIA. There were only 18 deaths on this date according to CWGC, and only 3 known graves. My goal is to possibly deduce what company my Great Uncle may have been in form seeing if there's any pattern ir information to be found out from other casualties on that day and therefore track his last positions. It's a tall order I know. I'm also trying to see if there's any pattern in unknown RMF burials as I'm pretty sure that he was buried by the Germans as there's a reference to this on his will held at the National Archives of Ireland.