Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Nelson BAKER

taylorsearcher

16 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

'No Labour, No Battle' in my local library book sale last week......a snip a £1.

Lucky, luck you!

I'm jealous.

As you have got it - for another thread.

Please - What date for a number 217175?

Edited by Matlock1418

10 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Lucky, luck you!

I'm jealous.

As you have got it - for another thread.

What date for a number 217175?

Also a HB first copy of 'Gardner's of Salonika' for 50p and a HB copy of 'Beneath Flanders Fields' for £2....... yep lucky me, my local library sales have been excellent over the past 20 years including a fairly pristine 1917 copy of 'The Battles of the Somme' Gibbs, which still has the fold out maps and the last lenders library card from 1929 tucked in the pages.

The number would appear to fall within what I quoted above so sometime between June and September 1917

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forum Gilian, after previously looking into the service of your grandfather and trying to piece it back together I would be very interested in any mementos and  any further information you're happy to share on Alfred

J

I have pieces of jewellery sent to.my grandmother from Ypres and I am not sure if you are aware one of his war medals was passed to the Victoria and Albert museum in London.  We also have a portrait photo of him in full uniform, seems to be the only one the family have. I must say I am very surprised to hear of the details which led to his death, this has never been mentioned before. 

Indeed it was such a tragedy that he met his death in such a manner as documented. The question of his Star medal is still somewhat perplexing, it's clearly seen on your great grandmothers coat, do you know which medal was passed to the V&A? Do you know the whereabouts of Alfred's other medals? Please do post what you are happy too Gillian

J

I am almost sure it us the star medal I remember the discussion around 1960 as to whether it should be placed there or not. I have no idea what happened to any other medals. His son alfred Nelson may have had them and passed tgen down to his son also alfred nelson. Sadly they have both passed away now. I am slightly in the dark how we are related. Very interested to know.  

can you post the portrait image you have of Alfred?.The Star medal will be very interesting to see, I may contact the V&A to see what they may know of it

I will sort it out for you. It may help you to know the person that handed it over to the V and A was my mother's cousin.  Why she had it I'm not sure. I will take a photo of it now.

16 minutes ago, Gillian cairns said:

I have the photo but I'm not sure how to post it on here. Any ideas?

:-/

If you open up a new post either anew or using a quote from a previous post you should see at the bottom of the posting window

Drag files here to attach, or choose files...
Accepted file types CSV, RTF, PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, KMZ, XML, txt, kml · Max total size 19.53MB

Those methods should work - i always use the choose files option

I'm  NOT an IT expert [that will be very obvious to those who know me!] but it might help others if you have tried the above you can explain what you are doing and what is going wrong / any error messages

:-) M

• Admin

Does this help?

IMG_1881.PNG

1 hour ago, Gillian cairns said:

I am almost sure it us the star medal I remember the discussion around 1960 as to whether it should be placed there or not. I have no idea what happened to any other medals. His son alfred Nelson may have had them and passed tgen down to his son also alfred nelson.

At the time it wasn't uncommon to split up medal groups - to share them out amongst family members as momentos.

Certainly had/has mixed benefits and drawbacks - then/now.

I think most families/collectors/interested parties now would have wished they had been kept together as a full group - but each to their own

It is sometimes possible to find 'lost' medals

Have you looked at the British Medals Forum ?   https://britishmedalforum.com

There is a section for 'Seeking Family Medals' and the like - might be worth signing up to it and having a go

Never know what you might find and perhaps be able to reunite all his - if you and/or other relatives wish.  ???

Just a thought

Yes, come through very nicely.

Simplz!

44 minutes ago, Gillian cairns said:

Well you learn something every day, 🤓

That's the beauty of GWF!  :-)

Welcome by the way :-) :-)

It's great to see another pic of Alfred, I wonder if it was the Serbia Cross of Mercy that was gifted to the V&A, I still cannot fathom a Star medalI for Alfred but it is certainly not amongst what we can see in your image Gillian. I can't decide if I can see 6 or 7 but I believe the medal ribbons he's sporting and in no particular order are the 

Queen’s South Africa Medal

King’s South Africa Medal

King Edward VII Coronation Medal

King George V Coronation Medal

Volunteer Long Service Medal

Serbia Cross of Mercy

Royal Humane Society Bronze Medal

I know next to nothing about medals but I'm sure the eagle eyed and those in the know could confirm the order. I have mentioned previously in this thread there is a family tree on ancestry that contains other datable images of Alfred and his brothers, with this in mind your image may date to around August 1917.

J

• 8 months later...

Hi Gillian,

I have only just come across your added post on this topic.  i assume that you have read all the earlier posts attached to this this topic that I instigated.

My name is David Taylor and am descended from one of the daughters (also named Alice), of Alfred and his ‘first’ wife, Alice.  I believe that you are descended from Alfred’s second relationship, I.e. with Mary Ann Brew?

If you search further on this site using the name of Alfred Nelson Baker, you will find other post headings I have instigated over the years, that you may find interesting, e.g. regarding pension claims.

regards

Dave Taylor

• 2 years later...

Hi David and Gillian,

Somewhat late to the party here, but I found this by chance after discovering this week that I am a great-great-nephew of Alfred Baker. I don't know if either of you is still on this site, but I shall send you both a private message.