Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armistice Day in danger of fading away

Moonraker

I have organised the appeal in a number of villages around here for about ten years. Last year, after the appeal, I decided to hang up my boots and had great difficulty finding someone to replace me. Unfortunately, the only volunteer (he had commanded a regular battalion) proved to be an alcoholic and failed to organise anything. I had to rescue the situation rapidly;the result is that having collected about £3000 each year in the past, this year's contribution to the appeal will be a great deal less. The main problem I had was to find wreaths for the various parish councils at very short notice. I know that the district to my west had to stop house to house collections as no volunteers came forward to replace the retiring person. I suspect this is why village shops, pubs and so on had no poppies for sale.

The good news is that my predecessor and I have now identified someone to take over from me next year.

Splendid outdoor commemoration in Oxford yesterday. Luckily the unscheduled burglar alarm across the road didn't go off until after the Silence.

On 03/11/2019 at 21:21, chaz said:

one of our local parades  may be less the Fire Service this year. because of many new recruits it has been decided by the higher ups that as all fire fighters have their work suits but not all have No1 dress suits, they will parade in work kit...the heavy duty boots and all. otherwise it would be 75% N01 and 25% civvies or work.

this has met the disapproval of the 'troops' due to weight and if its warm or wet .

we will be in France for 11/11, I expect we will pass by a few local events, mostly in side streets so no interruption to traffic.

In strict principle, there s a ceremony at every village war memorial. The Ministère des Anciens Combattants, writes a declaration which every mayor reads out at the ceremony.

I have just got back from a ceremony in a village near me.

• Admin

Went over to the town where my husbands Great uncle is commemorated for 11 am today. It was just me, my son, a few toddlers and their childminders and the local council employees, who drew up in their van and observed the silence.

Michelle

I see the Fail is getting hot under the collar with David Starkey HERE

Personally, I'm on the Professor's side: my dad spent six years fighting for freedom, and that includes the freedom NOT to wear a poppy. (Not sure about letting of fireworks - respect and all that). One of my daughters who, for unfathomable reasons, watches Strictly, was highly amused at the BBC Poppy Stasi making the Eastern European and Russian professional dancers wear poppies. 

Each to his or her own, I say.

Tilehurst - a suburb of Reading - did today's commemoration proud. Well-attended ceremony with lots of school-children present. All the shops around the memorial had suitably dressed their windows - with the surprising exception of one charity indirectly linked to a WWII icon and whose founder's remit was very much in line with what many people identify with Remembrance Day.

The local RBL has attached a small poster to the railings protecting the memorial asking that, as a mark of respect,  bicycles should not be chained there.

One pub has a permanent  soldier-silhouette painted on its war.

The local water tower also featured.

Moonraker

Down at our Swanage bivvy this weekend, and as we drove away this morning we saw a considerable number of people clustered round the war memorial at eleven o’clock .

This  eleventh of November ritual has grown more popular in the last decade : only my perception, of course, but a generation ago people just focused on Remembrance  Weekend.....the Great War has received a boost in folklore, and I feel confident that it’s not fading away.

Phil

There were around 200 people at my local memorial yesterday at 11a.m. I was pleasantly surprised by the numbers. A bugler played the last post and a vicar said a prayer and the National Anthem was sung and apart from a couple of wreaths being laid it was over. Seemed a bit more sombre  than Sunday when the bigger crowds were there. 

I think in time it will disappear - nothing lasts for ever - just a question of how long and when

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Thousands of people lined the city centre streets to watch servicemen and women parade before an impeccably observed two minutes silence."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/remembrance-sunday-newcastle-eldon-square-17232000

Attended Armistice Day commemoration in Iron, Aisne. One change was that this year there was no reading out of a message from The French President. This has been a feature of 11 November certainly for the last 15 years I have been attending Iron.

Is this a signal from Paris that official remembrance of WW1 is now finished?

Edited by Hedley Malloch

3 hours ago, Hedley Malloch said:

Attended Armistice Day commemoration in Iron, Aisne. One change was that this year there was no reading out of a message from The French President. This has been a feature of 11 November certainly for the last 15 years I have been attending Iron.

Is this a signal from Paris that official remembrance of WW1 is now finished?

Very good report on Central News Hedley , thanks.

4 hours ago, Frajohn said:

That's strange Hedley, we still had the message read out in our village on Monday.

Regards

John

Perhaps it was mislaid in our village. I would not rule out that possibility.

2 minutes of remembrance at London bookfair on Sunday was observed by all save 2 exhibitors and  visitor. One of the exhibitors is radical from North-East (mining tradition, not fond of the British Government at the best of times). Other exhibitor is Irish (Yes, the big bit)  The other  visitor was a neighbour of mine, who is Irish (The bigger bit down south). All had the courtesy to be out of the way at 11. Thus, observed by c.200 people.

Though noticeable that Central London had far fewer Vets and families around than in previous years.

I think we are heading for "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance" territory- if there is a conflict between the truth and the legend, print the legend.  Thus, as actual veterans disappear, then we celebrate for the sake of itself- we are no longer remembering ourselves as we were not part of that experience-In effect, we are remembering the remembrance of something which meant something more long past-just like Guy Fawkes- no-one around remotely connected with The Gunpowder Plot but we remember for the sake of remembering. Tradition means the line of least resistance until someone says  "Enough"

Still miss Empire Day though.....

I've locked this (hopefully temporarily).

Mods do have day jobs so we're not always as able to keep on top of things as we'd ideally want but we typically look as soon as we are able to.

Craig

• ss002d6252 locked this topic
  • ss002d6252 unlocked this topic

I enjoyed myself at the Cenotaph which I've been going to for years, you get to meet all sorts of interesting people.

IMG_20191110_103510630.jpg

Edited by themonsstar

• Admin

Numerous posts have been removed due to being political in nature.

This thread is temporarily locked (again) whilst Admin consider whether to re-open it or not.

• DavidOwen locked this topic