Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CHARABANC PHOTO

bobpike

We have recently been given a number of photographs of the locality and included with them was one WW1 photo of a charabanc type open bus containing  six rows of seemingly wounded men with white lapels. I am getting copies of the photograph and will drop one in your letter box this morning. On the back of the p.c. are the words;

“Dearest Hiddie(?). Just a line to let you know I am quite well, as I hope you are, and having good time. I haven’t had a chance to write a letter the last day or two. I’ve been busy at the limb makers. I will write tomorrow without fail dear if all goes well, and tell you I have got my arm I hope. They have promised it to me anyway, and if I don’t get it then there is going to be a jolly old row. I shall get out of prison next week in that case. How are you Hiddie(?) - better than the town house I hope. Only wish I was with you. I will tell you all the news tomorrow dear so bye bye until then.
Yours affectionate (?)

Fred.
xxxx
Do you know anyone on here Hiddie. It was taken about a fortnight ago."

Did we have a firm of limb makers in the area?

charabanc.jpg

Bob,

Try the Historic Military Vehicle Forum. Even though that doesn't appear to be military they are very knowledgeable on early trucks. Or try contacting forum member Great War Truck.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forum/38-pre-ww2-vehicles/

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Punctuation.

There must be a lot of vehicle expertise on the forum who could nail this.

It looks like it might be a star radiator badge, and Star of Wolverhampton did make charabancs. Identifying the shield that is part of the livery on the side would really narrow down the location...

• 7 months later...

Can I please resurrect this  and belatedly thank you for your replies,

Bob

The only limb makers I can think of for certain were at Roehampton.