Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

rob1713

Mystery Airman help required please

pierssc

There is only one Penfold with a casualty form, but he does not seem to have been commissioned until December 1918 and that was straight into the RAF.  There are relatively few Penfolds listed in airhistory, and most of them are not officers.  There's the aforementioned Harold Amphlett Penfold; and a few others of various initials who have an AIR76 file but no further information (often seems to mean they were undergoing training at the war's end)..  None have G as a first initial.  One would expect an RFC 2nd Lieut from 1916/17 to be better documented here.  Doesn't look a promising lead I'm afraid.

cheers

Piers

Franks war

See pic of Frank Alberry.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=frank+alberry&client=safari&hl=en-au&prmd=imsvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK4N_by-nlAhX3ILcAHTkgCHQQ_AUoAXoECA4QAQ&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=C53OYQpEhtJIaM

travers61

Another place for photos is the Royal aero Club records on ancestry. It seems that in the UK most military pilots took their civil pilots licence as part of the training & had to supply a photo to the aero Club.

pierssc

Welcome to the forum, Franks War....  Sorry, am I losing the plot here?....  How does Frank Alberry fit into this thread please?

pierssc
5 minutes ago, travers61 said:

Another place for photos is the Royal aero Club records on ancestry. It seems that in the UK most military pilots took their civil pilots licence as part of the training & had to supply a photo to the aero Club.

Good point, at least up to 1916 or so, but that really only works (a) if you have a pilot and (b) if you have a name.  It wouldn't cover Observers or those with ground duties. 

I did have a quick look the other week but honestly, there are quite a few and I'm afraid I rather lost the will... but you're welcome to have a go!

Edited by pierssc

rob1713

Thanks for having a look Piers, I will have a look on Ancestry at thier RAC records.

sadbrewer
On 08/11/2019 at 15:17, pierssc said:

I think you've got the G of the surname - I can see the similarity with the first initial letter now.  Also the n at the end - he seems to often end his lower-case ns with an upward florish.  I can't see many officers called Gibson with the initial G during the period of the RFC.  There was one commissioned in September 1918 (too late) and another one whose only mention in airhistory was in 1924. 

There is a Griffiths Ifor (or Ifor Griffiths) Gibson (his Casualty form refers to him as I.G.) born 1895, 11th Bn West Yorks, accepted as Observer on probation March 1917; to Home Establishment 2 April 1917, then to France June 1917, attached to 16 Squadron 11 June, to 1AD 2 July, 6 Squadron 12 July, wounded 10th August, died of wounds 11th August.

TSTB II records that 6 Squadron RE8 A4293 was on Artillery Patrol was shot up and damaged but landed at its aerodrome.  The piot, Lt AC Pickett, was OK but the observer, 2 Lt I.G. Gibson, died of wounds on 11/8.  I think 6 Squadron was based at Abeele (Abele) at this time.  The aerodrome was 4 or 5 miles to the SW of Poperinghe.

So we have a 2nd Lt, observer (with no reference to his qualifying for his wing), wounded and died in August 1917.

Previously at Gallipoli in the infantry, wounded in the chest there.   There is a photo of him at https://colstonscommemoration.wordpress.com/research/a-h/gibson-ifor-griffiths/

Is he the same chap?

More info at http://www.lijssenthoek.be/en/address/3236/-griffiths-ifor-gibson.html

Ancestry has some more info - worth a look as it includes biog info from de Ruvigny.

Originally Pvt 2225 5th Welsh Regt, discharged to Commission in the West Yorks regiment.

Appears to have died No 3 Canadian Clearing Station 11/08/1917

No reference to Croix de Guerre.  But for that I'd think you had a stong contender.

It's tempting.... can we find the CdG?

Also not sure of link to the compiler of the photos, as Gibson died nowhere near Hardelot... had he previously been at Gallipoli too?

From De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour.

Screenshot_20191116-135342.jpg