Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IARO Capt Ernest Charles Vernon-Browne, 16 Rajputs

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

Can anybody find an IMAGE of former IARO Capt Ernest Charles Vernon-Browne, please (reward offered)?

He was an erstwhile Sugar Planter (S. America), 19 Hussars (14073 Private 19 Hsrs., 1915, France); IARO (82 Punjabis/16 Rajputs: commn. 1 May 1918).

Also Tea Planter and Assam Valley Light Horse Trooper (Efficiency Medal INDIA): Connection unknown. E. C. Vernon-Browne...

Born Balham, 15 Oct 1892.

Enlisted Aug 1914, Pte., 19 Hussars - previously Demarara Sugar Planter, South America. Officer Cadet Bn., Dec 1917.Commnd into IARO 1 May 1918.

Apparently awarded 35 Jubilee, and a Vol (Trooper, Assam Valley Light Horse).

Died 1974 (Crawley , Sussex).

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

1 hour ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Milner,

Well spotted!

It is a worry that the 35 Jubilee with the E. C. Vernon-Browne medals is not on the Silver Jubilee Medal 1935 Roll for India...

Nonetheless, Service in France as an obscure Private with 19 Hussars (Cavy), is interesting, as is his shift to the IARO (with apparently both 82 Punjabis and 16 Rajputs), and post-Great War work as a Planter - together with Assam Valley Light Horse Vols. 

As usual, a Goodie from my Military library for anyone who finds his elusive Image!

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Dear All,

I seem to have drawn - unusual for the concentrated expertise of the Great War Forum - an unfortunate blank regarding the, admittedly obscure, IARO Capt E. C. Vernon-Browne...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Had a brief look. 1974 death registered in Crawley, may have lived in Cuckfield, Sussex at the time.

58 DM.

Dear 58 Div Mule,

Thanks for that. Somehow, one no longer feels alone!

Yes, Cuckfield was probably where he died in 1974, aged 81...

His Medal Index Card is interesting, as far Medal Index Cards go. Perhaps his Other Rank (enlisted August 1914, aged 21) papers survived the Blitz?

The Cavy 19th Hussars no doubt found themselves unmounted at Ypres and elsewhere, 1915-18. OCS then commissioned 1918 into the IARO.

Interestingly I have him shown with 82 Punjabis, despite his IGS clasp WAZIRISTAN 1919-21 being impressed CAPT. E. C. VERNON-BRO299670576_IALJul191982PjbisVernonBrowne.jpg.d3eb7161b7c9662c4463f79a13edd8a7.jpgWNE, 16 RAJPUTS (as on his Medal Index Card!).

Kindest regards,

Kim.1292304299_MICVernon-Browne.jpg.9c594c75df6b92256639b96952f41c1d.jpg

Dear Dave,

Many thanks for looking - and cleverly in the right corner, too!

Yes, that is him, for sure. Super!

Now the onerous task b1578766203_CaptErnestCharlesVernon-Browne.jpg.fc618b3cbb7b32fcdb1356a86d438c28.jpgegins of 1) finding that elusive Image, 2) confirming his 35 Jubilee - not on the India roll - and 3) discovering when he qualified for his Efficiency Medal INDIA GVIR? 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Kim

My brother, Peter Vernon-Browne, emailed myself and my other siblings having received your email on Monday.  E.C. Vernon-Browne was our Grandfather and as such we may be able to give you more information to aid your research.  I'm not sure how to attach a photo here, but will reply to your email via Peter with some attached images, which I hope may be useful, although I don't believe we have any photos of him in uniform.  I would be very interested to know why you are researching him and would be interested in seeing any finished article.

Kind Regards,

Kim Brown

Dear Kim,

I have replied by Message to your heartening reply.

Naturally I was thrilled to bits, Many thanks!

What a coincidence that we are both called Kimberley...

Kindest regards,

Kim.