Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WAAC rank insignia

Maering

I wondered if anyone had pictures of the "rank" insignia  for the WAAC eg Fleur de lys & roses or anything else you think might be useful visually eg the embroidered should patches etc Thanks :)

A Google search reveals no pictures of use...one epaulette with three roses - Unit Administrator or similar?  The wiki on WAAC lists the rank structure and describes the badges but doesn’t give any images of either rose or laurel.  Don’t they know DORA now longer applies??

A curious absence, when any search for badges or insignia usually produces posters showing all manner of rank structures for British and allied forces - even comparative ones e.g. French and British, Army and Navy...

Hi I've done an extensive google search plus, records of museums & they certainly existed :) Both in embroidered and metal forms. The rank idea for women wasn't approved of so they had to have more feminine markers such as flowers. I guess they didn't last long & being pretty maybe go used as brooches or similar ? Hopefully if I arrange a study visit I'll get to see and photograph some !